Excel files do not open with double-click

skahle

I seem to have broken something!. Whenever I double-click to open an Excel file (.xls files are associated correctly), Excel opens, but nothing happens. That status bar says "Ready," but my workbook never appears.

If I do a File-> Open within Excel, then I am able to open the workbook. I have no idea what is going on. This occurs for all Excel files whether they contain macros or not. Any ideas? This really sucks.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Tools > Options > General tab, make sure Ignore other applications is NOT ticked.

Upvote 0
If using 2003 and prior, on the General tab under Tools-Options, is the 'ignore other applications' option checked?

Upvote 0
Gangsters.... Thanks! I had written some VB yesterday to ignore requests and must have left exited the script before turning it back on. This must have been it! Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I am working with Excel 2007 and have the exact opposite problem. When I close out of excel, it closes out of the file and then I have to close out of the shell. The only thing I can find in the options is "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange," but this is already unticked. Any help?

Upvote 0
Hold Shift and click the X at the top right.

Upvote 0
Thanks rorya. It worked fine, but it seems that everytime I close excel I'll have to hold shift and hit the X. Is there some option I can toggle on or off that will do this automatically, every time? Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
I believe that if you turn off the Windows in Taskbar option, that would work, or if you have no files in your XLSTART directories (e.g. no Personal Macro Workbook) but I don't think there's a good solution unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I have something similar. In 2007. I double click the file it starts up excel but no file. As soon as I click the minimize button the animation goes down to the taskbar but then maximizes right back up with the file showing. The ignore option mentioned above is unchecked and the files do not contain any macros.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back