Excel vs Access

gbarclay2001

Alright people!

I've to write a fairly detailed report on the pros and cons of using Access or Excel in Management Support Systems and the like. Basically I want to compare them and their uses in different situations. As part of it I'm considering trying to come up with a checklist that will help select which of the two you should use. Analysing the type of system to be designed and checking for any software limitations that would allow you to eliminate one of the two as a possibility should help do this.

Does anybody know of any good books or web sites that might provide me with some information? It doesn’t have to be a direct comparison of the two; a list of functions and statistics would be good.

Any info or other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Greg

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi
I really do not know?
Why not post the requirements for your project here?
Excel vs Access?
They work together quite well.
Tom
This message was edited by TsTom on 2002-04-04 01:26

Upvote 0
Hi Tom,

It's a university project and the subject can pretty much be whatever I want. I chose to compare Excel and Access because it relates to some work I'm doing at the moment.

What I'm saying is there aren't any requirements yet and I'm only just starting to research it now. This means the aim of the report may, and proably will change slightly depending on info that I collaborate through my research.

So, what I'm after is a bit of inspiration on deciding what aspects of the software to compare; just any ideas really.

Upvote 0
Perhaps as a starting point:

Using MS Excel 2000 chapter 26 entitled "Using Excel with Access and Other Databases"

One of the subheadings is: "When to Use Access Instead of Excel" (pp. 783-5).

Upvote 0
Much depends on how detailed your work is but often i have commenst that Access is not so easy to amend ie slip a record in at row 4567, excel wins here

Access is not so custom as Excel and is a database not active document like excel...

Worth considering these points as many miss this..

My Call is if no large database ie TABLE the excel it and go from there if Access use Excel to report in.. IE select as needed.. combine both...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back