nigh on impossible charting question - now answered

sann0638

Board Regular
Three lines of data:
1:US state
2:Numeral one
3:Numeral two

Chart required - scatter showing the state on the chart next to the point with x-value numeral one and y-value numeral two. Should be easy, but isn't obvious to me.
Thanks,
Mike
This message was edited by sann0638 on 2002-04-08 03:56
This message was edited by sann0638 on 2002-04-08 07:54

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
On the chart, right click, and select "Chart Options." Go to "Data Labels" tab, select "Show Value" and then at the bottom select "Legend Key next to Label."

HTH

Upvote 0
Sorry - should have been clearer. Doing what 'Shades' suggests only works (as far as I can tell) for putting labels next to two separately plotted lines of data - not for points that have an x and y value and a label. I may be missing a step, and would appreciate it if someone could fill me in.

Upvote 0
Just to bring attention to this tough question.
Is there any way to attach automatically text labels to each points in x,y chart ?
This message was edited by eliW on 2002-04-06 10:49

Upvote 0
There's a blow. A colleague did it in Lotus, but I would rather not resort to this! Perhaps Monday morning will shed some light...

Mike

Upvote 0
If I understand what you want:

Use the chart wizard, select the first example for XY(Scatter). Then for Data Range, select all of your data. For Series, select the range with your state names for both the "X values" and "Y values"

Under Data Labels, you need to check "Show Label" and not "Show Value".

Upvote 0
I don't think this does exactly what I want, although I may be misinterpreting what you have written. Apologies if so, but could you make it a bit clearer.

To restate the issue:
the graph is an x-y chart, for example plotting Texas(3,4), New York(5,1), Mississippi(2,7). I want points shown at (3,4), (5,1) and (2,7) called Texas, New York, Mississippi.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-05 06:46, eliW wrote:
Just to bring attention to this tough question.
Is there any way to attach automatically text labels to each points in x,y chart ?
This message was edited by eliW on 2002-04-06 10:49

Hi All,

Yes it can be done. The best way is to download Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler add-in from the Free Utilities section on his website

http://www.appspro.com/

This will do what you wish automatically.

Bye,
Jay

Edit: I see that Sam S has already mentioned this and John W.'s option in the PUP2000. Sorry for the duplication.
This message was edited by Jay Petrulis on 2002-04-08 07:49

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back