Rename tab based on cell value - Macro

redjay

Hi all

I want some VBA code that will cycle through all the worksheets in a workbook and rename each tab/sheet based on the value of a cell in that sheet (B17).

The cell is always B17 but on some of the sheets, B17 is blank, in which case it is fine to not rename.

I have tried the below code but get a 'Name of object'_worksheet' failed' error message.
Any ideas anybody? Thanks

Code:
Sub tabname()
Dim ws As Worksheet
For Each ws In Worksheets
ws.Activate
ws.Name = Range("B17").Value
Next
End Sub

Hi
I have a similar question, (I also want the tab to be named after a specific cell on each sheet), except I would like this process to happen automatically, so that I don't have to run the macro everytime the cell name changes?

Right click the sheet tab, select View Code and paste in

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Address(False, False) = "A1" Then
    On Error Resume Next
    Me.Name = Target.Value
    On Error GoTo 0
End If
End Sub

Change A1 to the cell of interest then press ALT + Q to close the code window.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi Peter<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the reply. I tried it, but it doesn’t automatically update the tab name. Perhaps I should explain my particular situation.<o:p></o:p>
My spreadsheet has over 60 sheets; each tab is the name of a supplier. On sheet one I have a list of suppliers. A1 on each subsequent sheet is linked to a corresponding cell in this list. <o:p></o:p>
Eg: A1 on sheet 2 is linked to A1 on sheet 1, A1 on sheet 2 is linked to A2 on sheet 1 etc.<o:p></o:p>
If the user of the spreadsheet edits a name in the list, I need the corresponding tab on the appropriate sheet to automatically refresh to the new name <o:p></o:p>
Thanks Chatty<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Try this: right click the Excel logo just to the left of File on the menu bar, select View Code and paste in

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
On Error Resume Next
Sh.Name = Sh.Range("A1").Value
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Peter
I tried this (exactly as per your instructions below) on a new worksheet with 3 pages, but nothing happened

Upvote 0
Hi Jonmo1,

Very useful and works beautifully. Instead of the msg, is it possible to add say an 'a' to the name if it comes up as invalid in the first instance?

Thanks

Upvote 0
hi,

your code works great but I need to enter additional text after the applicable cell (ie d7) so for example, d7 = monday & plus text " - special". This would then make the tabe name "monday-special".
many thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
One option
Code:
Sh.Name = Left(Sh.Range("A1").Value, 31)

Upvote 0
This works great except when the characters exceed 31. How do we prevent errors with text over 31 characters?

Hi Judith,

I dont know if this is even viable? If it does happen to me, I just shorten accordingly.

Hopefully some more 'knowledgeable' Excel person can sort for you.

KR
Trevor3007:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
renaming the tab worked great, i even created a button for it :) . now i need something else , linked to the same macro.
i need something like an order ticketing system. meaning. first tab should be a draft containing all the column headers, after each cell is populated with order info, i need it to create a new tab with the name of a specific cell(customer name) and delete all the populated info, so another order could be filled.
hope i explained it well. sorry, English is not my native language.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back