Can you merge non-like spreadsheets inexcel?

Egypt is the Answer

How would I get 2 different spreadsheets, both having a column of identical, yet unsorted, information, into one new spreadsheet. I want to have excel merge the information that is not similar.

IE.... XYZR + XPSE = XYZRPSE

Is this possible??
This message was edited by Egypt is the Answer on 2002-02-21 13:40
This message was edited by Egypt is the Answer on 2002-02-21 13:45

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi Egypt,

I have to admit that I'm mystified by your question, so I'm thinking that maybe other readers are too. Could you provide some clarification? When you say

XYZR + XPSE = XYZRPSE

What do X, Y, Z and R stand for. Are these columns? Or perhaps you are referring to characters and you and to concatenate text in the merged worksheet? Can you provide a more specific example?

Upvote 0
Hi

Assuming the dat in non excel is data text or number thats is no formula as they will most prob be lost and you say say lay out copy all to new sheet

Sheet 1 = excel sheet
Sheet 2 = non excel sheet
Sheet 3 = both as you want

Put this in A1
=TEXT(Sheet1!A1,0)&TEXT(Sheet2!A1,0)

This will bring over the data asuming you paste into cell A1 also

All data will be text and formulas formatting will be lost but does as you ask

Drag down as reqd and across to fill area you req. Can copy and paste as value to kill formula,

Put 1 in any unused cell and copy it select all and spaste special and multiply

this will bring numbers back to values so formulas will work on them in future.

Upvote 0
Sometimes simple the works best. MS cut-n-paste works very well and paste special is a real time saver. Well I would not expect most of my co-workers to use them daily. I save enormous amounts of personal time even though I can program a little. You can even cut-n-paste from html tables with just a little extra work. Anything that is tabular is fair game.

Columns don't match or need to parse one just copy to an empty sheet first.

With you columns already being lined up all you should need is to cut and paste or past special.

HTH

Rocky...

Upvote 0
Hi

very good points but i dont want to upset but your post is fine but does not answer the questionat all, the question was to joing Excel sheets data to non excel sheets data all fully same column alinged.

So thats why copy past fails as the result but i did comment thats the way to get the data into Excel then apply som magic to answer the rest of the question.

Im not hightlighting tjis ti offend but i think my readeing is OK even if English not so goos!

Rdgs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back