Adding times together

Jana

I am having a hard time adding lengths of time together. For instance, I have 20 hours 5 mins and 23 sec that I want to add to 1 hour 36min and 58sec. When I try to SUM these two up to get the total amount of hours they keep giving me the time of day, not the hours totaled up. I have the information set up as 20:05:23 and in a time format. Any help on how I can add these? Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
On 2002-04-04 13:16, Jana wrote:
I am having a hard time adding lengths of time together. For instance, I have 20 hours 5 mins and 23 sec that I want to add to 1 hour 36min and 58sec. When I try to SUM these two up to get the total amount of hours they keep giving me the time of day, not the hours totaled up. I have the information set up as 20:05:23 and in a time format. Any help on how I can add these? Thanks

Custom format the cell where you sum up times as, e.g.,

[h]:mm

Upvote 0
Format your cell where the total is by using the custom format [h]:mm:ss

Upvote 0
You said you have the cells formated as time format, but there are two similar formats: one to sum as time of day, the other to sum total time. You've selected the first one. Try the other (it's down a couple lines), that should do it.

Upvote 0
I've used the time format that does not have the AM next to it (3rd from the bottom), yet I still keep getting AM times and even years on all of my times with hours in them. I've now tried the custom format given to me and it keeps defaulting to the time format that I have been using. Whenever I put hours, min & sec in I get AM times. When I just put min & sec in I'm fine. I can even add the times together even if they have the AM in them, but then it wont add the times that have no hours in the time. Thank you so much for your help with this. Please let me know if I have completely confused you. Jana

Upvote 0
Jana: In the cell where you are summing your times, Click on Format-Cell. Choose the number tab and select Custom from the category box. When you do, a new input box labeled type will appear. In that box enter [h]:mm:ss. The brackets tell Excel to exceed one day and total the hours. This will allow Excel to display hours greater than 12 or 24.

Upvote 0
It still would not add the times that didn't have hours (only min and sec) in to the total, but I figured out that if I just put a 0 as the hour it works. Now I will be able to tell how much time we spend on the phone!Thanks for all of your help, Jana

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-04 14:36, Jana wrote:
It still would not add the times that didn't have hours (only min and sec) in to the total, but I figured out that if I just put a 0 as the hour it works. Now I will be able to tell how much time we spend on the phone!Thanks for all of your help, Jana

I'm having another problem now. When I add my times together some times it equals to more htan 24 hours. What happens is i'm left with the diffence between the 24hours and what is left over. For example, we were colectily on the phone for 29hoursm 53 min and 24sec, excel is only showing that I was on for 5:53:24. Any ideas on how I can get the real time to show? Thanks again for your help. Jana

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-05 10:37, Jana wrote:
On 2002-04-04 14:36, Jana wrote:

I'm having another problem now. When I add my times together some times it equals to more htan 24 hours. What happens is i'm left with the diffence between the 24hours and what is left over. For example, we were colectily on the phone for 29hoursm 53 min and 24sec, excel is only showing that I was on for 5:53:24. Any ideas on how I can get the real time to show? Thanks again for your help. Jana

Excel will assume it's the next day i.e. 23hours + 4 hours = 3hours

use the custom format offers several times (time he he! :biggrin:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back