Importing cells with more than 255 characters

bjs

I've downloaded a Crystal report that contains fields that have more than 255 characters but when opening in Excel, the data is truncated. Any ideas how to do this (if it can be done)?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi

Can i ask why Crystal is giving sre long data returns, whats the data

I use Crystal 6 or something but i have a man who Crystal guru i can ask??? seem large down load.

Upvote 0
Crystal is extracting a 2000char field from an Oracle database. Crystal exports all of the data correctly but when opening in Excel it is truncated to 255. I don't believe it's an issue with Crystal as I can export to .txt and open in another app and the data is there and correct.

Upvote 0
OK thtas good

trythis sound daft but give it a wirl, copt the text file and pate into Excel A1 cell and fornat Text to columns and see if it does as you want. poss few errors...

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to work. It splits the text so that it is on several rows.

Upvote 0
Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet? I have the same problem with importing data from a requirements type of software called DOORS. Thank you!

Upvote 0
If the Suggested import method works, but does the obvious thing of Splitting it into different cells, my question would be is, are the text cells in sequence.
If there is a text limit on Excel, then the problem will continuously arise, and seemingly the only way to overcome it would be to format the cells so that the data is readable.

The thing that intrigues me, is that Crystal Reports used to have an export function for taking reports to excel... also, the native Reports part of Crystal is fairly good.

If it has to come into Excel, then it seems that a compromise work-around is needed, however, whenever I saw Crystal Reports data taken from Crystal Reports using an SQL back-end, the end result was always use-able, even with huge text sections.

:unsure:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back