Decent Title Case command?

Aphex Kid

I'm often in a situation in Excel where I need to format a column of text into proper Title Case. Unfortunately, I've yet to find an Excel plugin that can do this conversion intuitively. Right now, I'm using a plugin that gives me a 'Change Case' option straight off the 'Edit' menu. From there, I can convert highlighted text into Upper Case, Lower Case or Title Case.

It's a decent utility, but as I've said, it's not very intuitive. For example, it'll change the following line:

"ISN'T VERY INTUITIVE"

to this:

"Isn'T Very Intuitive"

Kind of a pain in the butt, especially when you're *constantly* having to go back and correct text.

Can anyone recommend a more suitable alternative? Surely there must be some functional Title Case plugins out there...

Thanks!

AK

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hm. Looks like we're back to square one. The ASAP thing is nice, but it's also having problems with very basic formats. ie.

(convert this to uppercase)

BECOMES

(convert This To Uppercase)

Not so good. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-17 06:33, Aphex Kid wrote:
Hm. Looks like we're back to square one. The ASAP thing is nice, but it's also having problems with very basic formats. ie.

(convert this to uppercase)

BECOMES

(convert This To Uppercase)

Not so good. Any other suggestions?

I don't understand your issue. What ASAP utility command are you questioning?

Upvote 0
The Title Case.

It doesn't apply to anything inside parenthesis. There are also a couple of other situations when it doesn't work probably which escape me at the moment..

Point being, the ASPI Title Case plugin isn't particularly swift. Any alternatives?

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-25 08:12, Aphex Kid wrote:
The Title Case.

It doesn't apply to anything inside parenthesis. There are also a couple of other situations when it doesn't work probably which escape me at the moment..

Point being, the ASPI Title Case plugin isn't particularly swift. Any alternatives?

Why don't you email Bastien Mensink, bastien@asap-utilities.com, and report your concern. Perhaps it can be addressed with the next release.

Upvote 0
If the set of chars that cause improper casing is small and known wrt your text values, you could try to use a formula approach.

Upvote 0
Well, in the absence of a final reply, I also needed the same thing. There is probably a more straightforward way of doing this, but I'm pretty proud of being able to create this from scratch. (Yeah, I should be much more advanced for the all time I've spent reading about it, but I'm not.)

Use: Select a range, run the macro.

Sub ProperMe()
Dim c As Range
Dim temp As String

For Each c In Selection
temp = c

c = "=proper(" & Chr(34) & temp & Chr(34) & ")"
Next

Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

End Sub

Upvote 0
Well, now I know I'm losing my mind. Supposedly, I wrote this in June of 2001. It will allow you to choose which casing you want....

Sub CaseTheJoint()
' Written by: Bartholomew 6/4/2001
MyMode = "U"
fonter = InputBox("Which Case?" & Chr(13) & "U=Upper, L=Lower, P=Proper", "Font Caser", MyMode)
Select Case fonter
Case "U"
For Each cell In Selection
cell.Value = UCase(cell.Value)
Next cell
Case "L"
cell.Value = LCase(cell.Value)
Next cell
Case "P"
cell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell.Value)
Next cell
End Select
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaRino

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back