Excel Crashing

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP
Aloha All,

I'm using Excel '97 and Windows XP. Whenever I go to Tools and then click options, I get an error message "Excel has encountered a problem and must shutdown". Then when I click OK, it shuts down Has anyone have an idea what's going on? I've re-installed several time, but get the same results.

Brian
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-04-06 10:10

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi Brian,

justt his erro mess and no others?

just started.

What exactly have you done prior to this error?

Do this always happen?

Why XP Win and Office 97>>>>

Upvote 0
Jack,

My office uses Excel '97 and I bring home a lot of work. Too much MREXCEL at work. I've re-installed several times. I'm trying Dreamboat's suggestion now

Upvote 0
Aloha,

Tried Dreamboat's suggestion, still crashing. I have the following "Error Signature":

AppName:Excel.exe
AppVer:8.1.4370
ModName:Unknown
ModVer:0.0.0.0
Offset:006c0065

Upvote 0
Okay, next step, Brian.

Start-Run and type:

regedit

Go to:

hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice8.0excel

Right-click and rename the Excel folder to OldExcel.

Try Excel again.

Upvote 0
Dreamboat,

Already tried that

:biggrin:

Still crashes

:(
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-04-06 11:58
This message was edited by Brian from Maui on 2002-04-06 11:59

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-06 11:55, Dreamboat wrote:
Okay, next step, Brian.

Start-Run and type:

regedit

Go to:

hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice8.0excel

Right-click and rename the Excel folder to OldExcel.

Try Excel again.

Hi Brian

Dreaboats comments are spot on, i make NO SECRET i never post regedit or hkey details far to danderouse and most should stay well out i work for software design and development company that supply Govenment, and we do not to dangerouse there are other options...

i would strongly advise users to allow a good utiliity such as Norton Utilities to do this can be from download.com or some site, and cover disk mags have this on trial, sorts agros.

allow the util to list errors if any and OK them one by one or if Norton i sugget fix all.

You will have more than you bargin for.

The idea dreamboat suggest with rename excel to old is a good tip but can i add. after the amendment you did cold booy (thats shut down and re boot after 2 minutes) didnt you else the memory which address Windows applications could still hold dirty data and so could not really do a lot even if the feil execution rebuild the file structure and then .... same issue pops up and ever cold boot will fail and head scratching..

have you cleaned up as Dreamboat suggest..

Have you re installe Excel? I guess so, this is normall pointless as it does little if dirty memory or dopen application in this case Excel hold data to shared or public memory all you need is a snip in privaye memory and BANG crash.. conflict data.. see why im against regedits.

Not thsi probable wont work but try...

cold boot
redit remane to old2 and cold boot, open excel and see if crash happens. If so remove do not relete Excel remove it via install disk thets do it by the book.

Cold boot

not run other programs thinkgs you would normally do this loads memory targets.

cold boot.
re load FULL COMPLEATE Excel or Office which ever, and DO NOT RUN IT

cold boot

now run excel and play.. does she crash.. if so nasty....

i would re load thats re install windows OVER THE TOP do NOT REMOVE OR DELETE IT, else you loose the lot, just run Windows disk and set up windows will allo this have reg key as it will most prob ask for it, tip rem,ember modem an d printer drivers will most probable bee asked for.. the cold boot

AGRO i knw but this is cleanest way to re install....

let me know Brian, ill advise all i can.. hope she feeling better next time we speak..

Take care friend..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back