Speed up my workbook

Bukol

Board Regular
Hi there
I am using Excel 2000.
I created a workbook with several macros which do the following:
From sheet 1, using a web query it extracts a table of data from an external website and puts it in a range of cells on sheet 1.
It then copies one by one 9 different cells from that range and pastes it into a different order on sheet 3.
Then using a list of keywords stored on sheet 2, it repeats the procedure but going to a different page on the website.
There are alltogether 26 cut or copy or paste actions involved in one run, which apparently slows everything down.
When I first started to run that thing, it extracted about 40 sets of data a minute. Then, after about 1000 runs, it slowed down to 1 set in 3 minutes!
I changed the code by adding a macro to cut the accumulated data on sheet 3 and pasted it into a second workbook. It helped a little, now I extract about 3 sets per minute. Thats still not good enough. I have to extract 130000 sets of data, that would take me about a month of permanent running to extract them all!!!
Any idea how to speed that thing up?

I found out that I get the best speed when I first open the workbook and then extract about 20 addresses. After that it starts slowing down. So if I close the workbook again and open it again, it starts with the same efficient speed. I suppose that the many copy/cut and paste operations will be written somewhere to a back memory and once this is getting filled up the speed slows down. Any idea how I can prevent that or do I have to add a macro to close and reopen the workbook after lets say 20 - 25 runs, and how to do that?
Hans

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Your better bet might be to clear the clipboard at the end of each loop (I'm not a real coder, so I'm not sure as to the terminology here--maybe procedure?)

I do know that I've seen a lot of clearing the clipboard stuff.

Here, I looked some up:

Office 97 (Windows clipboard)

Public Sub ClearClipboard()
Dim MyDataObj As New DataObject
MyDataObj.SetText ""
MyDataObj.PutInClipboard
End Sub

Office 2000 + up (Office clipboard)

Public Sub ClearClipItems()
On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars("Clipboard").Controls(4).Execute
On Error Goto 0
End Sub

Hope it helps. I have not tested either of them.

Upvote 0
Well, I did not see that you posted this question twice.

Upvote 0
Dreamboat,
Your approach is worth trying because so far I didn't get any satisfying results with anything else. Will keep you posted.
Thanks
Hans

Upvote 0
Hi

some cool code from dreamboat there ill have some fun with them thanks Dreamboat

Can i ask, wht you have not opyed for the same methods you noramll advise ie Disk Clean ups?

Running slow would fall into this, im ever ready to learn, in lost to why addressing clipbaod issue was your choice, just feel this could be a cool tip i should remember.

Upvote 0
Hi

Thios post is been knocking about a lot and sad not resolved sorry if i have not helpped.

reading you post and passed post i would be surprised the coed is the issue and you seem to be competent at this level.

quote I found out that I get the best speed when I first open the workbook and then extract about 20 addresses. After that it starts slowing down. >>>>

This looks at OP resources, i would have a feeling.

Our MVP Dreamboat is assisting you and i know she will take perfect care of you.

Can i ask i dont recall exactly what OP your running and is E2000 patches as with Windows.

This will help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back