How to get rid of commas between part numbers in a cell?

mqarep

Board Regular
I have a worksheet with several fields/cells of which one contains part numbers separated by commas (such as: 8084430-001,8084430-003,8084430-011,8084430-013). These part numbers are of different lengths and count.
I need to place each part number in a cell by itself so that it can be found by a vlookup from another worksheet. Is there a formula or VBA code that can accomplish this? It would take hours to do this manually.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I have a worksheet with several fields/cells of which one contains part numbers separated by commas (such as: 8084430-001,8084430-003,8084430-011,8084430-013). These part numbers are of different lengths and count.
I need to place each part number in a cell by itself so that it can be found by a vlookup from another worksheet. Is there a formula or VBA code that can accomplish this? It would take hours to do this manually.
Have a look at Data|Text to Columns...|Delimited|Next|Comma as the delimter etc.

Could you then use HLOOKUP instead of VLOOKUP?

If not then Copy the horizontal data and then Edit|Paste Special...|Transpose|OK

Upvote 0
You can use Data > Text to Columns, the choose comma delimiter.
If you wan the results in a single column you will then have a manual job to take the 3 or 4 columns and move the data around

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back