Global Vs. Public Variable.

Evagrius Ponticus

Hello,

Can anyone please explain the difference between declaring a variable as global or as public. Aren't they both available to the entire project including forms? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
When you Dim a variable inside a Sub or Function, it is only available to that Sub or Function. Making a variable Public makes it available to all Subs and Functions within that Module. I'm not sure if it's available to all modules; it could easily be tested.

Jeff

Upvote 0
Yes - if it's a Global variable it is available to all subs - but that seems to be the case for Public variables as well - so I am not sure of the difference.

Upvote 0
In VBA there are three levels of scope.

Local: the variable is declared inside a Sub or Function, using the Dim or Static keyword and is only availible inside that procedure.
Code:
Sub myRtn()
Dim myVariable as Variant

Module-wide: the variable is declared at the beginning of the module with the Dim keyword. it is available ot all procedures in that module, but not to procedures in other modules
Code:
Dim myModVariable as String

Sub myFirstProceedure

Public - the variable is declared at the beginning of a normal module with the Public key word. It is avaliable to all procedures is all modules of that project. (Variables declared with Public in Class, Userform and Object code modules have specialized meanings.)
Code:
Public myPublicVariable as String

Sub myFirstProceedure
Global is not a VBA reserved word. There are no (uppercase) Global variables in VBA. "global" is a term in the meta-language of programming, not in the programming language VBA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's nice to know. I didn't find anything on a Global statement used for variables. I'll have to rethink how I have been declaring variables available to all subs and just to subs within a single module.

Upvote 0
Global is not a VBA reserved word.
Are you sure, Mike?

In a standard module, using this declaration, Global is coloured blue:
Code:
[COLOR=blue]Global[/COLOR] str [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]String[/COLOR]

And you can't declare a variable called Global:
Rich (BB code):
Dim global as Variant    '<----compile error
So that suggests to me that it is a reserved keyword.

The only difference I'm aware of between Global and Public is that you can't use Global when declaring variables in class modules. I don't ever use Global, although I've seen one or two other people mentioning they do use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your right, it is reserved.

Entering Global in the Object Browser brings up Load, UnLoad and UserForms.

and when used as in your declaration statement it seems to act like Public.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back