Excel won't let me save my file!!!

Cosmos75

Excel won't let me save my file! When i try to save it it says "Your changes could not be saved to "*.xls", but were saved to a temporary document named "F65aa000". Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name".

Every time I try to save it under an existing file name, it won't do it and the existing file is then renames to some alphanumeric file and the same message appears.

PLEASE HELP!! This file contains macros that took a long time to do!!
This message was edited by cosmos75 on 2002-04-08 12:54

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Why don't you save it to a different name? Or try saving to a different location? Just get it saved anywhere. Reboot your PC. If you're on a network, give it 15 minutes or so to refresh (the network, that is), and then try again.

Upvote 0
Tried to save after rebooting, although I didn't wait.

I am on a network but I save my files on my local hard drive. Different name, different directory doesn't work.

Please HELP!

Upvote 0
Hiya,

Unless anyone can think of anything else...

Copy all your code to another file so you don't have to that all over again (in VB editor or heck just a text file. Then select all the sheets and do an EditMove or Copy Sheets (check "create a copy") to a new workbook. Then you may be able to save that new workbook under a new name. If Excel doesn't crash, you can then paste the code into the new file.

Good luck (we've all been there)
Adam

Upvote 0
Asala42,

That's actually what I did before I came back here to post that, but I am glad that you posted it up for anyone who might have been checking this before I got my answer up.

VERY RELIEVED!!,
Cosmos75

Upvote 0
Hi guys

just some ideas, here

network eh! what OP you running

OK look i strongle suggest noy local dribve saves, not tape back up, the ICT dept will back up all network traffic everynight or onthe hour if the are on the ball. so no loss.

OK more..

re boot, or as i call cold boot, as suggested after 15 minutes its pointesee cold boot 2 mins max is OK if the netwotrk is up it will wor or all around you will srream blue murder as network trashes again IT dept problem.

Good tips

ANY script code you rite export the bas file so easy import to any module

also if not save why not, youknow to back up dont you that the first think so run the back up from last sabve and re name save as >>>>> ABC.backupCurrent whatever so you can tell the differnce,

If no back up... try the exoprt VBA bas files.. and rebuild the wkbk.....

I am very boaring VERY VERY VERY boaring, i ssave through out the day copys of my file (main data file - currect worksd ledger) scipts and all to the network as asave as file name date time,,, and my IT dep for ever say TO MUCH SPACE takn up.. i delete old wkbks.. i have loads.. good practice.. remember to do it.so ever time i run a script i have code that backs up the whole wkbk and button that does the same ever tine i leave my desk....

kust a way i work... never do i sweat.. distroy all my work,.. 5 mins im sorted.....

Upvote 0
Jack in the UK,

How do I export the VBA bas (base?) file?? Do you mean copy the code into a Word Document?

Care to share the script that you use to "run a script i have code that backs up the whole wkbk and button that does the same ever tine i leave my desk.... "?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Re: EMERGENCY!! HELP!! Excel won't let me save my file!!!

I am having a similar problem on my portal. It's set to time out after X minutes. When the users try to save, it does the same thing...saves to a number.file file. Needless to say, the users are screaming!! Can I have the set autosave every 15 minutes or so.. maybe that will trick the portal into resetting the time out clock. Any other suggestions for this network nightmare???:confused:

Upvote 0
Re: EMERGENCY!! HELP!! Excel won't let me save my file!!!

I used to have this problem, so I created a macro that would auto-save to my hard drive before it would try and connect to the network server.

I beleive it was an event based macro, it was about 5 years ago... I'll see if I can dig it up!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back