Need Help with Charting or statistics or something

cls

Greetings,

I have a worksheet with several thousand rows of data detainling real estate companies that listed or sold properties within a given time period.

I have used a pivot table to summarize this data so I could get a count of just how many properties each company listed or sold and the percentage of the whole for each.

The results are that one company stands clearly above the rest with 13% of the total sales or listings; another 15 or so fall into the 1% to 10% range and then there are hundreds in the less than one percent range.

I have been asked to create a line chart that will clearly illustrate that a few companies are responsible for most of the listings and sales.

Easy enough except that the HUNDREDS of >1% companies are just too much to handle - I wind up with a chart that can not be read.

So I tried grouping the >1% folks, but then that one group winds up with 48% and makes the top guys look like they are doing nothing at all. Not what is being requested.

I can get something more reasonable from a pie chart - It just does not have the impact.

Is there a way to do this in a line or bar chart that I simply am not seeing. Or is the pie going to have to be the answer?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Why don't you simply cut off the group with the "top ten" firms who sold properties and state on the chart that, while the sum of the rest was significant, the fact remians that no simgle firm was significant.

Upvote 0
Afraid you are over my head here. . .

On 2002-04-08 14:23, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
You could apply a transformation (LN or SQRT) to the target data first, then chart.

Upvote 0
That may be the most reasonable option for where my skill base is.

I just wanted to make sure I was not missing somethin obviously simple.

Thank you for your time.

On 2002-04-08 14:44, GregPascal wrote:
Why don't you simply cut off the group with the "top ten" firms who sold properties and state on the chart that, while the sum of the rest was significant, the fact remians that no simgle firm was significant.

Upvote 0
You can also take a look at the Data Analysis Add-in. There are a lot of cool stat wizards.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-08 14:50, cls wrote:

You could apply a transformation (LN or SQRT) to the target data first, then chart.

Lets say that you have a bunch of numbers in A1:A10 you want to chart.

In B1 enter: =LN(A1)

and copy down till the 10th row.

You could then use the values in B1:B10 instead of the original values in A1:A10. You might take this LN transformation as smoothing.

Aladin

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-08 15:18, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
On 2002-04-08 14:50, cls wrote:

Lets say that you have a bunch of numbers in A1:A10 you want to chart.

In B1 enter: =LN(A1)

and copy down till the 10th row.

You could then use the values in B1:B10 instead of the original values in A1:A10. You might take this LN transformation as smoothing.

Aladin

I will play with that in a bit and see what difference it makes to my data. Thank you for your time explanation.

cls

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back