grades computation

kinalas

how can i make a worksheet/formula that automatically look for the equivalent score in a given transmutation table.

example: i have an exam of 10 items, what will be my formula to so that it will automatically look for the equivalent score under the transmutation table of 10 items

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
HI - welcome to the board.

vlookup() might be what you need. care to post back with a few more details about where your data is, what vvalue(s) you're looking up...an example would help

paddy

Upvote 0
grading system

thanks paddy

lets say

<pre>
a b c d e
name score quiz 1 equivalent score quiz 2 equivalent
(10) (50)

aaa 10 100 50 100
bbb 9 90 55 98
ccc 5 70 30 80</pre>

note:

scores on quiz and quiz 2 have different no of items, 10 & 50 respectively

the transmutation tables can be anywhere within the worksheet. or can i place it in a different worksheet?

Upvote 0
Hi kinalas:

This is how your table looks like ...
Book2
ABCDE
1namescorequiz1equivalentscorequiz2equivalent
2aaa1010050100
3bbb9905598
4ccc5703080
Sheet2

Now in spreadsheet terminology, what are you trying to lookup, match, index, or compute?

Upvote 0
thanks yogi

i'm actually trying to figure out how to get the equivalent without having to manually look at the transmutation table

i guess i have to use vlookup but dont figure out how to enter the right formula

Upvote 0
Hi Kinalas:

If the table above correctly depicts your data, can you clearly describe what is it that you are trying to accomplish.

The VLOOKUP function uses a lookup value that must be in the first field of the lookup table, and then finds the value of interest from a specified field corresponding to a row that the lookup value lies in or does not exceed. It is easier to use the VLOOKUP function than it is to describe.

So please post back with a clear description of what you are trying to accomplish -- and then let us take it from there.

Upvote 0
thanks!

the values you see in the equivalent columns are the sample desired output based on a transmutation table or range of raw scores

for example: if the quiz score is 9-10 the equivalent is 100... and so on..
so i will be having multiple tables and equivalents depending on the number of items of the quizzes.

dont know if can combine combining vlookup with @if but theres a limit on the formula (@if(no.of items=10,vlookup(???????

i think i still have to enter the number of items maybe above the entry of the quizzes to serve as the reference of vlookup.. :idea:

[/list]

Upvote 0
Hi kinalas:

If I have understood you correctly, the following simulation should be of interest to you ...
Book2
ABCDEFG
1namescorequiz1equivalentscorequiz2equivalent9.1
2ccc5703080100
3bbb9905598
4aaa1010050100
Sheet1

if cell G1 houses 9.1, then the formula in cell G2 is ...

=INDEX(C1:C4,IF(INDEX(B1:B4,MATCH(G1,B1:B4))<G1,MATCH(G1,B1:B4)+1,MATCH(G1,B1:B4)))

Does it help?

Upvote 0
nope!

the result should be in the columns for equivalent. say if the quiz score is 10 then the equivalent should be 100.

the transmutation table look like this (for quiz of 10 items)

score equivalent

9-10 100
8 95
7 90
6 85
4-5 80
1-3 70

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back