Coloring Cells

Glennm

About a year ago I had to color certain cells based on certain numbers or combinations of numbers.

Someone answered my inquiry and provided me with a formula and how to set it up.

An example of the formula I used was:
=SUM(IF(A7=PNAMES,ERROR*ASSIGNED))

However, I cannot remember how to change the formula. Can someone walk me through how I can do this?

Thank You

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Double click the cell in which the formula was entered. You will then be able to edit the formula. Alternatively you can single click the cell in which the formula was entered and then you can go to the formula bar toward the top of the screen and edit the formula there. This is assuming that the worksheet where the formula is contained is not protected.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.

Can you tell me what "pnames" refers to and how I can change what it refers to?

Can you explain what "ERROR*ASSIGNED" refers to and is it something that should/can be changed?

I am trying to add an additional number that I want to be filled in with a color. I need to be able to access the specific elements/references in the formula.

Thanks

This message was edited by Glennm on 2002-04-09 10:10

Upvote 0
PNAMES and the other names mentioned in the formula refer to cells in your worksheet. To find out which cells they refer to go to Insert from your menu. Then click on Name. Then click on Define. Then select the Names which you are concerned about. When you have selected a name, look at the bottom of the pop-up window and you will see a Refers To bar. This will tell you what cells are being refereed to.

Upvote 0
If your goal is to "color certain cells based on certain numbers or combinations of numbers" have you tried using Excel's conditional formatting feature (Format menu)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back