Is OzGrid the same as MrExcel?

Steve,

this is the last I will offer for your entertainment. Look in my profile and see what problem there

is with ego. It says "Truck Driver". Knowing the reputation that goes along with being a truck driver

there is still no reason I can find to pretend to be something else. Somebody who is egotisical about

what they do or what knowledge they possess is fooling themselves. You seem to be quick to resort to

name calling with anybody who has a complaint which you don't share the same viewpoint as having an ego

problem. This being the case reveals much about yourself. There is a personal satisfaction in helping

somebody solve their problem. Part of that satisfaction is knowing that your solution was productive.

It is not a "thank you" that provides this, but a simple acknowledgment that you contribituted. Nothing

about this board or any of the software we discuss is going to bring about world peace and in the whole

scheme of things is not really even important, but, manners are important. That is what separates this

board from most others. If this board becomes what most others are then I'm out of here. I rarely post

on other boards and, in fact, rarely use Excel. I just enjoy the learning environment and some of the

personalities I have become aquainted with. I used to drive a taxi and there was a certain method used

by rude people. They would call several taxi companies and whoever got there first got the fare. Is this

right? These are human beings who took their time to drive to some location and pick you up but you were

not there and, therefore, you wasted their time and money. This same method of choice is used by cross

posters who percieve that they deserve more attention than others. It is not about being the best because

somebody will always be better or of having to post something profound or unique. It is about being friendly

and helpful. If you need ego, go post at Microsoft's groups. If you want to have fun and help somebody out

at the same time, then post here. You may call this whining and say, well, sorry bud, but that's how this

world works. Good enough for you. Some people do not let the norm dictate their behavior. Remember that an

actual human being typed this before you read it. :)
:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
As someone who has learned so much, and has been helped so much by some of the great people here, I'd like to thank everyone. Your efforts and advice are very appreciated. :D

Upvote 0
I'm not an EXPERT. I'm not an MASTER. I’m not an MVP. I've been classified as a "newbie".

I found this board by luck and it has helped me more than I can describe. Early on, however, as I was still "searching" for answers, I did look elsewhere and ask the same questions on a couple of occasions. In a very short time I stopped doing that ... for two reasons.

First, I found the level of expertise on this board to be incredible.

Second, because I was so pleased to find so many people willing to help me here. And, though I've never met any of them, I recognize that they are just that... people willing to help me. I would never dream of wasting their time. In my work and in my life, time is precious. And so are the people behind the words (and code) on this board.

Thank you TsTom, Nimrod, Phantom1975, NdNoviceHlp, just_jon, Barry Katcher, Richie(UK), Mudface, Juan Pablo G., rafaaj2000 and more others than I can remember!

Upvote 0
mezr
...and we appreciate that. I have never, no not once, heard anybody here discourage people from posting elsewhere. I have personally posted at Dave Hawley's forum and have no problem with doing so. It's a great forum. There is an allegiance to MrEcel on my part, but it is conditional upon my own personal experience. Message boards are only one avenue to get an answer. The internet tempts people, by it's very nature, to forget that these are actual people, just like them, answering their questions. :) I love people and do not allow myself to forget their time and effort when they have helped me. :)

Tom

Upvote 0
Topic: Why I post to this (and other) boards.
By: Barry D. Katcher
Course: The History of Addicts in Western Civilization 101

This is why:
1. Because I’m altruistic and love to help people…NAH!
2. Because I feel good about myself when people thank me (i.e. mezr above). That’s more like it.
3. Because I learn as much, if not more, by solving other people’s problems as by having mine solved. Repetition is next to Godliness.
4. Camaraderie.
5. It’s a great place to pick up chicks.

Steve, may I beg to differ with you on two points you made that seem to be contradictory. In your original post, you state “Somebody keeps whining (my italics) about cross-posting, the citation is always the other board.” My take is that you are irritated by these people. Irritation is a suppressed form of anger. Then, in your third reply, you state:

" So many times we hear "I have a right to be mad about......". Which is a great way to stress yourself.
If somebody posts the same issue on multiple boards, what "right" do I have to be offended? Humility is a great way to avoid stress.” (my italics)

I think it’s great to strive for a Zen-like equanimity in life, but for the rest of us unenlightened multitude who will never attain it, I prefer the psychological route, namely, admitting one’s feelings and working through them.

Feelings are neither good nor bad, the just are (says he, rather pretentiously). Working through them in a safe, rather than destructive way is what leads, in the case of the aforementioned multitude, to equanimity and humility. This thread is a good example of a “safe” method of airing our feelings although, given our normal penchant for defensiveness, I’m somewhat doubtful of it’s productivity.

And, in conclusion, I’d just like to summarize by saying “I hope this diatribe impressed all you chicks out there. Ha-cha-cha.” (get a life, Barry) :devilish:

Upvote 0
I think TsTom's commment ...

there was a certain method used by rude people. They would call several taxi companies and whoever got there first got the fare. Is this
right? These are human beings who took their time to drive to some location and pick you up but you were not there and, therefore, you wasted their time and money.

really drives the point home. If I may say another way -- CROSS-POSTING shows lack of consideration by OP for the Time and Effort of the people who might be answering the OP's question.

CROSS-POSTING can be detrimental in another way too -- it may sound like a fake wolf call -- and a viewer may say, what the heck, somebody on some other BOARD will work it out, and it may turn out that no one took the post seriously, and the OP is the one who did not get the answer that the OP should have gotten.

I don't think any one is talking about not using multiple resources, I mean different Boards/Forums -- there is however a definite difference between utilizing multiple resources and CROSS-POSTING.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back