Multiple Columns into one Column

junkforhr

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Does anyone know how to do this? I have lots of columns that need to be stacked into a single column (I do not want to combine or concantenate)
eg put all data in column B,
column C, column D,column F and column E and stack them one under each other into a single column in column A. I have many many columns each with approx 500 rows of cells.All columns are in the one sheet.
Any ideas appreciated.

You can do it with this formula

Thank you this is helpful.

Say I don't know how many cells in each column will have a value and when a blank shows up that is when I want to switch to a new row?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
You can do it with this formula

I am trying to use this formula, but I am not getting the same results. It's only returning the first value from cell A1 - any idea why this may be happening? I'm using Excel 2013 if it's of any importance. Thanks in advance! By the way I've included a copy of my spreadsheet below.

formula-test

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I am trying to use this formula, but I am not getting the same results. It's only returning the first value from cell A1 - any idea why this may be happening? I'm using Excel 2013 if it's of any importance. Thanks in advance! By the way I've included a copy of my spreadsheet below.

formula-test

Update: I figured out what I was doing wrong, I didn't realize I needed to copy the formula down as many cells for the total number of values as a whole. But would there be some way to grab the data as some sort of an array and just dump it via a formula? In other words, if the number of values in each column is going to be constantly changing, I don't know exactly how many cells down I need to drag the formula in column F.

Upvote 0
I prefer a formula approach over VBA.

If you want to go down the rows first then across the columns in your table use this formula.

Code:
=INDEX($B$3:$D$6,MOD(ROW()-ROW($F$2)-1,ROWS($B$3:$D$6))+1,INT((ROW()-ROW($F$2)-1)/ROWS($B$3:$D$6))+1)

If you want to go across the columns first then down the rows in your table use this formula.

Code:
=INDEX($B$3:$D$6,INT((ROW()-ROW($H$2)-1)/COLUMNS($B$3:$D$6))+1,MOD(ROW()-ROW($H$2)-1,COLUMNS($B$3:$D$6))+1)

See this link for details How To Turn A Table Into A Column Using Formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel that this would be the most useful way of achieving my goal, but can't seem to get over the final stage.

I'm using the following formula on my data, pulling table data row by row into a column.
=INDEX($A$1:$F$9,INT((ROW()-ROW($G$1)-1)/COLUMNS($A$1:$F$9))+1,MOD(ROW()-ROW($G$1)-1,COLUMNS($A$1:$F$9))+1)

My Data looks like this, purely for this example.
A
B
C
D
E
F
R1,C1
R1,C2
R1,C3
R1,C4
R1,C5
R1,C6
R2,C1
R2,C2
R2,C3
R2,C4
R2,C5
R2,C6
R3,C1
R3,C2
R3,C3
R3,C4
R3,C5
R3,C6
R4,C1
R4,C2
R4,C3
R4,C4
R4,C5
R4,C6
R5,C1
R5,C2
R5,C3
R5,C4
R5,C5
R5,C6
R6,C1
R6,C2
R6,C3
R6,C4
R6,C5
R6,C6
R7,C1
R7,C2
R7,C3
R7,C4
R7,C5
R7,C6
R8,C1
R8,C2
R8,C3
R8,C4
R8,C5
R8,C6
R9,C1
R9,C2
R9,C3
R9,C4
R9,C5
R9,C6

<tbody>
</tbody>

So the formula works across row 1, then row 2 and so on.
R1,C1
R1,C2
R1,C3
R1,C4
R1,C5
R1,C6
R2,C1
R2,C2
R2,C3
R2,C4
R2,C5
R2,C6
R3,C1
R3,C2
R3,C3
R3,C4
R3,C5
R3,C6

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I am looking to do, is in the same format as this functionality, is only return the value from every 3rd cell. For example returning the below result.
R1,C1
R1,C4
R2,C1
R2,C4
R3,C1
R3,C4

<tbody>
</tbody>

Essentially I need to repeat this process in another column to have a start point of B1, and then C1 to return every 3rd value in H + I respectively.
R1,C1
R1,C2
R1,C3
R1,C4
R1,C5
R1,C6
R2,C1
R2,C2
R2,C3
R2,C4
R2,C5
R2,C6
R3,C1
R3,C2
R3,C3
R3,C4
R3,C5
R3,C6

<tbody>
</tbody>

I will need to apply this to a 90 column table, reducing to 3 columns.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Sankar,

I think the OP is looking for the opposite...

Table To Column

Using VBA:

Sheet1
BCDE
1Col 1Col 2Col 3Col 4
2ABCDEFGHIJKL
3MONPQRSTUVWX
4YZABCDEFGGIJ
5KLMNOPQRSTUV
6WXYZABCDEFGH

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Excel 2003

Sheet1
A
1Single Column
2ABC
3DEF
4GHI
5JKL
6MON
7PQR
8STU
9VWX
10YZA
11BCD
12EFG
13GIJ
14KLM
15NOP
16QRS
17TUV
18WXY
19ZAB
20CDE
21FGH

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Excel 2003

Code:
Sub TableToColumn()
    Dim Rng As Range, LR As Long, i As Long
    LR = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 2 To LR
        Set Rng = Range("B" & i, "E" & i) 'Change range to suit needs
        Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2).Resize(Rng.Count) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Rng)
    Next i
End Sub
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

On this code for VBA, how do you adjust so it copies down the column first, then over to next column. So, I would want it to copy all of B, then over to C, ect. This code copy all row 2, b2, c2, d2 ect, then down to b3, c3, d3 ect. I want it to go B2, b3, b4 then c2, c3, c4.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back