'Cannot rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, a referenced object library or a workbook refernced by Visual Basic'

mikeymay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am getting the error from the title of the thread when I try to change a worksheet name.

This worksheet name doesn't already exist in the workbook and I don't have any other files currently open.

I'm not entirely sure what is causing this, but I do need the sheet to be the name I am trying to change to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

OK, it seems a strange name for a reference to have but there aren't any with this refernce name :confused:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Anyone got an idea with this?

Is a huge pain in the backside if I can't use the name I want to use has implication in several other rather complex workbooks :cry:

Upvote 0
What are the names of the sheets you see under Microsoft Excel Objects in the VBE? What references are there?

Upvote 0
There are 38 sheets in total in the worrkbook
  • Data
  • Lookup
  • Area Movement
  • Finance Budget
  • Movement Pivot
  • Attrition Forecast %
  • Attrition Forecast Pivot
  • Attrition Forecast FTE
  • Procedure - Monthly File
  • London
  • Month Movement
  • Branch Pivot
  • Redeployed Detail
  • New Starters
  • 3 Month Area Movement
  • Branch Breakdown
  • Redeployed Summary
  • Vacancy Update
  • Areas
  • Finance Plan FTE - Branch
  • Essex South
  • Hammersmith & Westminster
  • London North
  • London City
  • London North West
  • Enfield & Finchley
  • London North East
  • Camden
  • Months
  • London Regional Office
  • Middlesex
  • Finance Actual Previous Year
  • Years
  • Finance Plan FTE - Area
  • Current
  • Finance Actual
  • Inflow
I have used the name 'London East ' (note this name has a trailing space which the workbook will accept) just so I get something to in there but it messes up a whiole automated process in this workbook and several others.

Upvote 0
I understand the frustration, so please don't take offense... but are you listing the names as shown in the project window of vbide as Peter suggested?

Upvote 0
I have just re booted and it works OK now...GRRRRRR

Really sorry to have wasted your time and I should have tried this first :eek:(

Upvote 0
Ok, rather annoyingly this has reared it's ugly head again.

I am using the same file but re jigged for the new year but I cannot rename a sheet 'London East'.

Tried to re boot but this hasn't worked.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same problem and have found the solution (for me) and thought I'd post in case it helps anyone else.

Mine was quite simple, i had an Excel macro enabled file which within the code automatically created a worksheet name "Outputs". On trying to run the macro to do this, I would get the error "'Cannot rename a sheet to the same name etc.....". I had no hidden worksheets named the same.
What I did have was another completely separate excel file open (workbook was named something else entirely but it did have a sheet called "Outputs" in it). Even though the macro's were saved to the worksheet itself (e.g. not to my "Personal.xlsb") it still conflicted with the other open spreadsheet that contained the "Outputs" sheet. I closed the other sheet that contained the "Outputs" sheet and viola! it worked fine. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back