How do I unhighlight?

3FingerSalute

Often when I'm knee deep into my spreadsheet, and I attempt to highlight one cell, it will start highlighting the entire page. I can't find a way to unhighlight and always end up doing control alt del. I've activated autosave ( thank goodness for that) but have often lost data. Has anyone else run into this problem? And do you know a fix?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
There are two ways to 'unhighlight'.
First, when you realize that you have highlighted more than you wanted, stop moving the mouse BUT DON'T RELEASE THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. Now just move the pointer back (up, left, or diagonally) and you will begin to 'unhighlight'. Stop when you have the correct area highlighted.
Second, if you have highlighted an area that is too large (or too small) simply click on a part of the worksheet that is not highlighted. This will clear what you have highlighted, allowing you to begin again.

Upvote 0
Thanks....What I mean is that it won't unhighlight when I release the left mouse button. At that point, with the left mouse button free, if I move the mouse,,,it highlights everything in it's path. I could highlight into oblivion! It's like it gets stuck. That's when I have to give it the 3 finger salute.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

I would like to suggest a Govenment secret well in the UK any rate please it did not come from me else they will hang me!

try this top secret fix:

choose the CRTL hit and repeatatly hit the key (not hard) but click click click c c c c c c c c c click FAST

now pick on the shift key another national secret the right hand side one again click it click c c c c c c c c click

now pick n key cap lock and click c c c c c c c c c now re do them all aon any old order for say 3 or three seconds each a couple of times each

.. top secret :

now selct a cell and highlight it and now move the mouse is she free no other high licting???

not highlight another...

and unhighlight the original cell you highlighted..

still with me

SAVE

.. ai my girlfriend Excel free now....

if so let me know and ill expalin to the world why.. if not ill hang for sure.

Upvote 0
Hi

No im not being silly if light hearted. MI5 MI6 SAS CIS FBI KGB MickMouse kebab all top secret ..

might work i have done this trick for years, please tell me if this worksks... just might then ill tell you why...

Space shuttle secret .. no not really. shoul;d add to MCSE cource as standard opperating procedures.

Upvote 0
Ok Jack....
I tried the top secret fix and it didn't work :( This seems to happen to me daily. What a bummer. I can't believe no one knows a fix for this. It happens to a lot of people I know who use excel.

Upvote 0
HI

Thats a big smame my ideas was to free the micro chip in the keyboard thats stick and locks odd ways banging these keys releases it, i hope it works common where oi work..like it no caps locks and no caps lock on same things

sorry this did not work...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back