DTPicker2 in Windows 7

MrDoc

Hello,

I have a dual OS, so I can chose from boot manager if I want to run Windows XP or Windows 7. Each of them is installed in a different HD and I have no problems at all running either one.

In XP I still use Office 2003, and in some Excel workbooks I use DTPicker2 without any problem. But when I open the workbooks in Windows 7 using Excel 2007 the DTPicker2 control doesn't work, an error message pops up "Object doesn't support this property or method". This happens when I click the macro button that activates DTPicker2. Even before that, the control has no date but a red big X on its place.

After some research, I found out that DTPicker2 is no longer part of Microsoft Command Controls, so it must be manually installed. Following Microsoft instructions, I downloaded mscomct2.ocx and copied it to \Windows\System32. Then I tried to register it using "regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx" and it failed with the message "The module mscomct2.ocx may not be compatible with the Windows version you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32 bit) or x-64 (64 bit) version of regsvr32."

It seems I can´t install this ActiveX control in Windows 7. However, I read posts of Excel users who are running DTPicker2 on W7 without problems. And also running DTPicker2 with Excel 2007 without trouble.

The MS site when the module can be downloaded doesn't give a clue about installing it on W7. I don't have any idea on how to check wether it is 32 or 64 bit, but I guess it must be 32...

I know this question is more about W7 then Excel, but as I can't find any help on W7/Excel/DTPicker2 and I assume that other members of this forum might also have had this problem, I'm asking for help, if anyone has a clue on how to solve the problem, considering the use of DTPicker with Excel 2007 and with Windows 7, and also that I removed the module from Windows XP System32 to prevent any possible conflict, but to no avail, so I installed it again, and it still works fine with Excel 2003 on Windows XP.

Also, I really need DTPicker2, not Calendar Control or similar modules. It has a nice drop-down feature and... I would have to change many scripts to replace it with anything different.

Thank you for any help.

MrDoc

Xenou,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Although there's no time picker, I'll give it a try, as it seems to be a nice addin.

Yet I still need to understand why DTPicker2 doesn't work in my system: I know it's working on Windowd 7 and Excel 2007, although with some flaws.

Regards,

MrDoc

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
date pickers seem to be a moving target. I'm trying to find out more myself. It seems for instance that mscal.osx will not be supported in XL2010, but I haven't found out anything about the libraries you've referenced yet. I guess its a matter of trial and error - find one that works, or get one working. I don't really use them myself so I'm not very experienced.

Upvote 0
I like the DatePicker you suggested. It's nice and easy to use, also easy to install as an addin. What I don't know is how to make the icon visible in a Worksheet, for other users, like the drop down DTPicker2. The icon appears when you select a cell containing a date or a cell below a cell containing a date. The word DATE would do if my Worksheets were in English... But, as they are for portuguese users, I use DATA, which means DATE ofc.

Is it possible to make it visible/invisible (not very important), enabled/disabled (more important), and change the date (important, to initialize the date as DATE) from VBA? If so, do you know how?

As to the beahviour of DTPicker2, what really puzzles me is that it works fine under Windows XP and Excel 2003, but it definitely doesn't work (in my system, at least) under Windows 7 and Excel 2007.

Upvote 0
Xenou,

I like the DatePicker you suggested. It's nice and easy to use, also easy to install as an addin. What I don't know is how to make the icon visible in a Worksheet, for other users, like the drop down DTPicker2. The icon appears when you select a cell containing a date or a cell below a cell containing a date. The word DATE would do if my Worksheets were in English... But, as they are for portuguese users, I use DATA, which means DATE ofc.

Is it possible to make it visible/invisible (not very important), enabled/disabled (more important), and change the date (important, to initialize the date as DATE) from VBA? If so, do you know how?

As to the beahviour of DTPicker2, what really puzzles me is that it works fine under Windows XP and Excel 2003, but it definitely doesn't work (in my system, at least) under Windows 7 and Excel 2007. The first time I place it, all goes well, except for the above mentioned dfetail of the DTP displacement to next to A1, which can easily be corrected. Then I save the file and, the next time I open it, the DTP is replaced by that big red X that normally means "activeX control not enabled". I tried enabling always all activeX controls, just to see what happened, but the result was the same.

Just a few minutes ago I used a DTP control in a Worksheet where I had also used Sam's Date Picker, and this one also stopped working, the icon just froze in the cell it was placed. I opened a blank Worksheet and couldn´t pick it by cell right clicking either. Maybe because there were already two "frozen" DTPicker controls in the first Worksheet... So I closed Excel, opened it with a blank Worksheet and placed some other ActiveX controls, and also a DTPicker. Sam's Date Picker still worked....

One final note: I'm using DTPicker 2 directly on a Worksheet, not in a userform. When I go to Properties and select the linked cell, an error message pops up, which, according to a tutorial I recently read, should be ignored. I' testing now placing a brand new DTPicker 2 without linked cell, just to see what happens...

Sorry, I wrote too much. The important part is the possible VBA use of Sam's Date Picker. If it is possible, I'll forget about DTP 2.

Thank you very much for helping me!

Regards,

MrDoc

Upvote 0
After reading this post several times and trying to understand it all, I finally got DTPicker2 to work in my spreadsheet. The final steps that I had to take were:

1. Place mscomct2.ocx in c:\windows\syswow64
2. Place mscomct2.inf in c:\windows\syswow64 (I don't know if this is needed?)
3. Start command prompt as administrator (right click)
4. Type the command cd c:\windows\syswow64
4. type regsvr32.exe mscomct2.ocx

I got a positive response from regsvr32.

I loaded and tested my application and it worked!

BTW, when I placed the files in c:\windows\system32 I got a warning message that the module might not be compatible with the 64 bit system, AND the control didn't work in Excel.

Thanks for all the help on this forum.

Upvote 0
ronbas... the info was here :)

(link from my post above)
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70813&highlight=DTPicker&page=2 post #16 >
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2849625 post #10 >

Code extracts from my post #5 above shows
"1) Download mscomct2.cab from http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/MSCOMCT2.CAB" _
"2) Unzip/extract mscomct2.cab (.ocx & .inf)" _
"3) Copy extracted files to relevant directory as administrator (click continue if prompted for admin permission)" _
" c:\windows\system\ = Windows 95, 98, or ME" _
" c:\WINNT\system32\ = Windows NT or 2000" _
" c:\windows\system32\ = Windows XP or 7" _
" c:\windows\sysWOW64\ = Windows 7 64bit" _
"4) Close & re-open spreadsheet." _

Upvote 0
Shel_l_D : Your instructions are more concise than mine. One more thing the neophytes (like me) would need to know is that they have to go back into the forms development, open the tools and add the DTPicker2 control to the tool box before the form will work.

Still a great forum. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back