Extracting middle names and last names

mahmed1

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have seen many different ways to extract middle names and last names. Some are really confusing to figure out.

Some people use, find and others use search to find a pattern occurring.

What is the best and easiest way/formula to use to extract middle and last names. I guess the first name is pretty easy as everyone seems to extract the first name using the same formula. What if there is 1,2 or more middle names...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
i,e <o:p></o:p>
STEVEN JOHN PAUL GERRARD
MICHAEL JOHN H ANTHONY SMITH
SHAUN H NORMAN
ROGER CLARK

What is the best method/easiest formula to extract any middle names and last names. Can you please give examples of different formulas. <o:p></o:p>

What's the difference between the search and find?

gracias <o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
hi,

the trick here is to find the position of the spaces in the name. you can use the search function to do. =search(findtext,within text,[start num]

after you find the position of the first space, then you find the position of the second space, by using the [start num] part of the function,

eg

myen dushern pather
search(" ",A1) will give me and answer = 5
then i use search(" ",A1,6) will give me = 13
i would also use len function to find the entire length of the name.
to get the middle name you could use =mid(A1,6,(13-5) will give dushern
mid function allows to retrive text from a cell from a specific position amongst the text in the cell for a specfic number of characters. its better to under stand the solution so that you can use it in other cases.

later guy
myen pather

Upvote 0
mahmed1,

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Full NameFirstMiddleLast
2STEVEN JOHN PAUL GERRARDSTEVENJOHN PAULGERRARD
3MICHAEL JOHN H ANTHONY SMITHMICHAELJOHN H ANTHONYSMITH
4SHAUN H NORMANSHAUNHNORMAN
5ROGER CLARKROGERCLARK
Sheet1

The formula in cell B2 copied down:
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1)

The formula in cell C2 copied down:
=IF(LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))=1,"",MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1,FIND(MID(A2,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))))+1,255),A2,1)-2-FIND(" ",A2,1)))

The formula in cell D2 copied down:
=MID(A2,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))))+1,255)

Upvote 0
mahmed1,

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Full NameFirstMiddleLast
2STEVEN JOHN PAUL GERRARDSTEVENJOHN PAULGERRARD
3MICHAEL JOHN H ANTHONY SMITHMICHAELJOHN H ANTHONYSMITH
4SHAUN H NORMANSHAUNHNORMAN
5ROGER CLARKROGERCLARK
Sheet1

The formula in cell B2 copied down:

The formula in cell C2 copied down:
=IF(LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))=1,"",MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)+1,FIND(MID(A2,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))))+1,255),A2,1)-2-FIND(" ",A2,1)))

The formula in cell D2 copied down:
=MID(A2,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))))+1,255)

Thank you so much for this formula

Can you please explain how the formula works as i am a fairly new learner in Excel.

Much appreciated

Upvote 0
mahmed1,

Can you please explain how the formula works as i am a fairly new learner in Excel.

The formula in column B:

Finds the first "space", and returns the LEFT part of the string in cell A2, for the the number of characters up to, and not including the "space".

The formula in column D:

was a formula from another post on MrExcel. I think that it finds the last "space" character in cell A2, and returns the MID part of the string from the next character past the last "space" for the LEN (length) of the string minus the last character position of the last "space".

The formula in column C:

First counts how many "space" characters there are in the string, and if these is only "1 space" character, then there is no middle name, and returns a blank cell.

If there are more than "1 space" characters in cell A2, then we use MID to return the string from the starting position + 1 of the first "space" character, to the "last space" character position - 1.

Upvote 0
Thank you VERY much. This is the cleanest and clearest version of extracting names...and very helpful for me.

I appreciate your sharing it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back