Column widths aren't saved from previous open...

ms_foxy_roxy

This is only happening on one excel file, so I know it's got to be something with the way this guy created the thing, but he wants me to figure out why this is happening...

Any way you edit the column widths, the changes seem to save, but upon closing and re-opening the file, the changes have not stayed. Cell info changes do save, just not column width changes...

My theory is due to the size of the worksheets (1000 of lines and at least to double letter columns), excel is trying to show the best view possible and is compressing the columns. Am I crazy? Ok, maybe that's not a valid question...but can someone please help me before I have to strangle this guy for pestering me about this :)

Thanks much in advance for any help at all :) R

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi

If the sheets dead .. copy all to new but watch it formatting will be lost

sounds good to me....

Poss more that one sheet, but why noy copy to new work book and back as new tab name if works remane original as old and

bingo

Rdgs
=========
Jack

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-22 11:17, Jack in the UK wrote:
Hi

If the sheets dead .. copy all to new but watch it formatting will be lost

sounds good to me....

Poss more that one sheet, but why noy copy to new work book and back as new tab name if works remane original as old and

bingo

Rdgs
=========
Jack

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

The book is not unusable, it's just sort of annoying (for him) to keep having to drag the columns wider so that he can see the numbers.

I was thinking about renaming the file, or resaving it as a new workbook. There are several sheets in the book, and there are a LOT of formulas, so I think he would strangle ME if I killed his formulas.

Any other ideas? :) R

Upvote 0
Hi

No sorry KILL i mean kill passwords and formula, but will drive links crazy, will need to re do them, but not formulas

I hear so often in 2 years on hear people say BIG BIG file sizes and sheets and loss of this and that, i have a suggestion, NO im not telling anyone just a point.

I work with 200 ish odd PC;s related staff, all on 3 networks and ALL use Exel, sadly im seen as a guru, no i am not i just help if i can. We have heavy programmes also not VBA but VB.. akll ask me.

Now after 2 years NO one really looses data or files, we work small and IT dept back up for us. I advise evryone to keep thing as small as poss, and maintain WORKING sheets by that i mean the one you work on as core work thats the problmatic one always, back it up...

Size of file and number of sheets will effect excel sher can only carry so much shopping till she needs a hand.

I have never yet met anyone who MUST have 10 one more sheets workable at one time in one doc.. so archive off older work and zip back up them.

Excel i love but she cant get stressed if we ignor her.

No formulas will not be lost, all will be perfactly safe if you copy ALL and paste in cell A1

Try backing up ie save as New_original name

and have a bash onthe new copy file... go on you have nothing to loose..

See if in right...

Rdgs
==========
Jack

Upvote 0
Jack,

here's another stupid snag...it's a "confidnetial" file, so I can't even play with it. and I don't trust the user to do anything! So I guess I'm in a holding pattern until he gets tired of messing with it again.

Users can be such prima donnas. Here he makes out like I've got to solve this asap, and then when I offer a solution, he isn't interested. He just wanted some attention.
E-gads! Users may actually be more frustrating than the programs they use :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll keep it in mind if he ever lets me near the sheet again.

Have a fabulous weekend (hopefully, with no excel problems)! R

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back