division symbol

millwall_dave

I want to add the division symbol (char 247) to cells in my spreadsheet. I have used similar keystrokes before when adding the degree symbol by typing ALT + 176, but for some reason neith this not any of the other character keystrokes work.

Perhaps I am forgetting something simple????

Thanks for your help

Dave

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Dave,

I've had this sort of trouble too. The Sir Villi solution to your problem didn't work for me. Neither does this approach work for other symbols I've needed
eg: Typing Alt+0189 does not give me the "half" symbol that I wanted and that the "Character Map" seems to suggest it should produce. Rather I get a "crossed c", which the "character Map" suggests should be associated with Alt+0162. What's going on here?

I've always concluded the problem was something to do with US/UK keyboard mapping or something...but I hope this is wrong and someone can enlighten us or provide an algorithm for converting the "Character Map" code into the one actually needed.

Rob

Upvote 0
Hi.

What about giving to formula =Char(247). Then take copy of that cell and Edit Paste Special Values in same cell.

Hope this helps.

Sir Vili.

Upvote 0
Yeah... That's pretty much the way I have been getting round the "problem" so far.... ...But, for my own peace of mind, I'd still like to know WHY typing an "Alt + digits" string doesn't produce the desired/expected affect.

(Sorry Dave...didn't intend to hijack your question )

Rob

Upvote 0
Press Alt (don't release the keyboard) typing 0247 and release Alt

Upvote 0
The keyboard mapping may be relevant; I don't know. But, one definite relevant context is the font used. For Arial, ALT+0189 does result in the 1/2 symbol, just as ALT+0247 yields the division symbol.

Upvote 0
Sorry guys...I AM holding Alt key down while I type the four digits, and I AM using Arial font and ALT+0189 still gives me the "crossed c" instead of "half". Alt +0247 gives nothing but a 1 line pull-down box, certainly not the division symbol.

(Incidently, I'm using the numerals on the numeric keypad here...if I use the ones at the top of the normal keypad I get nothing at all.

Also I get identical behaviour on both my PC at work and the one at home)

What do you get Dave?

Rob

Upvote 0
Get same effect whetehr its on or off Alt+0189 gives "crossed c" in both cases

Rob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back