Can't record macro for Conditional Formatting

wilkisa

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to record a macro for conditional formatting but when I check the VB Editor after I finish recording it, it only has

Sub CFTest()
'
' CFTest Macro
'

'
Range("D1:D4").Select
End Sub

Can someone help me get the keystrokes to record or tell me what I need to do?

Thanks,
Shirlene

Thanks for the reply, Jonmo. I recorded my macro again. For each step in the condition, I hit APPLY before I hit New Rule for the next condition. I verified that I completed it and hit OK when done. I then opened the VBEditor and checked the module; it is just exactly as I pasted it in the first part of this thread.

Do I need to enable or add something? I'm just stumped!

Hi, I just experienced exactly the same problem and was just as stumped.

However, if you choose "New rule" from the Ribbon Conditional Formatting menu, then it records it. Changes made through the Manage Rules dialog appear NOT to be recorded.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
However, if you choose "New rule" from the Ribbon Conditional Formatting menu, then it records it. Changes made through the Manage Rules dialog appear NOT to be recorded.

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!

This little note kept me from banging my head against my desk. I couldn't figure out why some (seemed very random) of my condiontional formatting macros weren't recording!

I can confirm your note that Excel won't record conditional formatting if you select "manage rules" vs. "new rule".

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
Several months later, but a big thank you from me too, for soling this problem this morning!

Upvote 0
My guess is that you're not "Completing" the setup of the conditional format.

The macro recorder doesn't record your conditions untill you click OK all the way through,and are back at the sheet and the conditional formatting is actually functioning.

If you're just going in and putting in the criteria and selecting the format, then clicking Cancel, that's why it's not being recorded.

I had the same problem as the poster. I was hitting "Apply" and then "OK." Once I skipped hitting ""Apply" and hit "OK" immediately, it recorded. Goo call. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Hope that helps.

THANK YOU!!

This little note kept me from banging my head against my desk. I couldn't figure out why some (seemed very random) of my condiontional formatting macros weren't recording!

I can confirm your note that Excel won't record conditional formatting if you select "manage rules" vs. "new rule".

Thank you again![/QUOTE]

Mine worked just fine with manage rules, I just had to hit "OK" immediately and not hit "Apply." Idk if it matters, but I'm using Excel 2010

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!!

Thank you again!

Mine worked just fine with manage rules, I just had to hit "OK" immediately and not hit "Apply." Idk if it matters, but I'm using Excel 2010[/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This has drove me crazy for months! I would have never guessed the stupid "Apply" button was causing the macro not to record conditional format. Again, thank you!

Upvote 0
Over 2 years later same in Excel 2016. I couldn't record in my personal macro workbook but could in "this workbook". Seems like just "OK" works as others said. Not "Apply" and then "OK". Not adding anything except that it's still an issue in 2020. :( Thanks for the solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back