Color property doesn't set ANY color

Prosenjit Banerjee

Hi,

To change the color of a cell (say, foreground) I use the "Color" or "ColorIndex" property of Range.Interior.Font. Now, I am telling about the "Color" property only. When I set this color (with rgb() function or a Hex value or a Long decimal value) I found that I could not set whatever color I wanted. I was able to set only few colors (which the "ColorIndex" property only allows). But I want to any of the available 256*256*256 colors. Am I going wrong. Is there any means to set any color?
This message was edited by Prosenjit Banerjee on 2002-04-09 23:09

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hello,

I am not sure of what I say, but are you sure your monitor supports all those colors that you want to use (with right click on the desktop / preferences)?

Otherwise, the only thing I can think about is that your code is not completely correct.
Cells(1, 1).Font.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)
Cells(1, 1).Interior.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)
is the right coding.

Upvote 0
Dear paludgnp,

It was only my fault that I could not be able to make you understand my problem. From the very begining (the subject of this post) I have misguided you. It was "Color property doesn't set ANY color". I wanted to emphasize on the word "ANY" but it got in gain. Actucally the "Color" property certainly allows to set some colors. But it allows to select "ONLY SOME SELECTED COLORS" and these are the colors offered by "ColorIndex" property. To understand what I want to tell you just do as follows:

(1) Go go Windows Paint.
(2) Choose any color by clicking on the color palette and the choose "Colors->Edit Colors..." menu. Then edit the color by selecting "Define Custom Colors>>" and the by setting the Red, Green and Blue values as 68, 127, 187 respectively.
(3) Have a look at the color.
(4) Now go to excel.
(5) Select any cell and write anything there.
(6) Make the font big and bold so that its color is very easily viewable.
(7) Go to VBE (ALT+F11) and then go to the Debug window (CTRL+G).
(8) Type -> ActiveCell.Font.Color = RGB(68, 127, 187)
(9) Now return back to the main Excel window and look at the color of the text in the selected cell.
(10) Now you cannot match this color from the Paint's color created earlier and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I think now you can understand my problem clearly. Please help me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back