Conditional Formatting: Highlight only certain words in cell (text)?

Attraktor

Hi to all,

I know that you can highlight a cell or it's entire contents with a certain color, but can you highlight only certain portions of it's contents using Conditional Formatting?

A simple example: If cell A1 contains the text "The pink elephant has blue and green spots." and cell B1 contains the text "blue", using cell B1 as a reference, is there a way to highlight only the text "blue" in A1 with the color blue using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks in advance for any answer to this.

Marc.

Starting with the code from post #28, I would modify the red line and add the blue line
Rich (BB code):
  Set Changed = Intersect(Target, Columns("B:P"))
  If Changed Is Nothing Then
    Set Changed = Intersect(Target, Union(Range("W9:Z9"), Range("W11:Z11")))
    If Not Changed Is Nothing Then Set Changed = Range("B9:P60")
  End If
  If Not Changed Is Nothing Then
  End If
  If Not Changed Is Nothing Then
    For i = 1 To 4
      Phrases(i) = Split(Range("W11:Z11").Cells(i).Value, "|")
    Next i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Changed.Font.Bold = False
    For Each c In Changed

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hey Peter, I have been working with these updates and they work flawlessly. Thank you again for helping me with this, you've been awesome!

Upvote 0
Hey Peter, I have been working with these updates and they work flawlessly. Thank you again for helping me with this, you've been awesome!
Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you for your code. I have used it several times.It works like a charm. This time though I am trying to colour column E as well when it finds a match in column A. I am really struggling to do so. Is it possible to help me with this? Thank you!!

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You could try this in a copy of your workbook.
I have assumed that the text to be checked/coloured is in column A and the list of words to check for are in column E.

To implement ..
1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.
3. Close the Visual Basic window & test by adding/deleting/altering values in column E.
4. If using Excel 2007 or later your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm) & you will need to enable macros.

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim RX As Object, Mtchs As Object
  Dim itm As Variant
  Dim c As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("E")) Is Nothing Then
    Set RX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    RX.Global = True
    RX.IgnoreCase = True
    RX.Pattern = "\b(" & Join(Application.Transpose(Range("E1", Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value), "|") & ")\b"
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Columns("A").Font.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    For Each c In Range("A1", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      Set Mtchs = RX.Execute(c.Value)
      For Each itm In Mtchs
        c.Characters(Start:=itm.firstindex + 1, Length:=itm.Length).Font.Color = vbRed
      Next itm
    Next c
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
This time though I am trying to colour column E as well when it finds a match in column A.

Since we are not familiar with your exact circumstances & requirements, could you post a small set of dummy data to show what sorts of things you have in columns A and E and also show or describe which ones should be highlighted and why? See Attachments for good ways to provide sample data.

Upvote 0
Hi Thank you for your help.

Column A: Test Data Column E: Test
R001
R004
R001
R005 R002
R000 R004
R000
R0003
R005
R005 R008
R006
R007
R006

<colgroup><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

The code that you provided previously checks the text in column E and if it match with a text in column A( even if it has several Rxxx codes) it colours it to red.That is working really well. But I would also like when it finds a match from the Rxxx codes in column E to colour them red as well.

For example: R001 should be coloured red in column E cell 1 and column A cell 1.
R005 should be coloured red in column E cell 4 and column A cell 2 and cell 5.
R006 should be coloured red in column E cell 7 and column A cell 7 but not the code R007 which is in cell 7 as well.
R000 and R008 should be NOT coloured at all as there is no match.

Thank you for your help.

Since we are not familiar with your exact circumstances & requirements, could you post a small set of dummy data to show what sorts of things you have in columns A and E and also show or describe which ones should be highlighted and why? See Attachments for good ways to provide sample data.

Upvote 0
It seems that the values in column E are all just single values in each cell. In that case, try just adding the blue code into the previous code where shown.

Rich (BB code):
    Next c
    With Range("E1", Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      .FormatConditions.Delete
      .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=AND(E1<>"""",MATCH(""*""&E1&""*"",A:A,0))"
      .FormatConditions(1).Font.Color = vbRed
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if this has been changed in the newer versions of Excel? I don't mind using VBA, but will be using a program to share the spreadsheet that doesn't allow macros. I am not hopeful that they have made the change in 2010, 2013, or 2016, but I thought ask just in case someone knew.

Thanks,
Busto

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back