Conditionally auto-update date by row

ghubble

Hi--can anyone help me with the following?

I want to automatically invoke the TODAY() function in Column P, by row, whenever anything in columns A-O is updated within each particular row.

It's for a spreadsheet where line items will be regularly updated over time, and I want to capture how fresh data are without manual user date updates.

Thanks for any pointers!

Gillian

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Gillian, welcome to the board,

This should start you off, but (there's always a but!) it is dependant that Col's A:O are populated;
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:O")) Is Nothing Then
        Selection.End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Value = Now
    End If
End Sub
Also, if more than one cell in a specific row is changed it will timestamp the next column (Q,R,S etc...)

I am curious on how to specify a specific column based on a changed cell. I don't think you can rely on the active cell method, because the user could tab, enter or click anywhere to submit the change, and as I said the offset method as it's flaws.

I will watch this post for an answer, until then, I'll keep trying,

Cheers
Colin

Upvote 0
Gillian

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Here is some alternative Worksheet_Change code to try. This may also not do exactly what you want, but see if it is close. I suggest that you test in a copy of your workbook.

To implement the code:

1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the Visual Basic window.

4. Try making changes on your sheet.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Changed <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Changed = Intersect(Target, Columns("A:O"))<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> Changed <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>        Intersect(Changed.EntireRow, Columns("P")).Value = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Date</SPAN><br>        Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Works for me :)

Peter,
Is there any reason you used 'Date' instead of 'Now'

whats the difference?

Colin

Upvote 0
Peter,
Is there any reason you used 'Date' instead of 'Now'

whats the difference?

Colin
The OP referred to the worksheet function TODAY() [which returns the date], not the worksheet function NOW() [which returns date and time] so I used the vba function Date [which returns the date], not the vba function Now [which returns date and time].

Upvote 0
Colin and Peter,

Thanks so much! I will try these code suggestions and report back. I really appreciate you sharing your expertise, as I studied VBA for about a month back in 1998, which isn't helping me at the moment :)

Gillian

Upvote 0
I've been testing Peter's code to avoid Colin's multiple-column stamp caveat, and everything I've tried so far has achieved the desired result, an updated, single date stamp.

Thanks again to both of you for your help, and for my renewed primer on Visual Basic syntax. This piece of code is a huge time-saver!

Gillian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back