file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

mish78

file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

I have made an excel file where other people have to go in and update it. This process takes 2 secs but some people forget and stay in it over lunch etc causing a great annoyance.
Is there anyway I can "kick" them out my file? Im not concerned if they lose any data they've entered as I'm sure this will help them get the message to get out the file quicker..:devilish::devilish:
Its really doing my head in... pls help

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Thanks for the idea. I am still reading up on the idea but I run macros on the file and am a bit nervous that having several users update it at the same time could cause lots of problems in itself. they all update the same table/data so there's room for people to try to write to the same cell at the same time etc.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have looked into sharing the workbook and I cant use it as the users will end up trying to enter data in the same cells then arguing over it. :p

I have also looked into permissions for any filetype but cant see how I can do it that way. The only way I can see me doing it is if i was a systems administrator..... Ive also looked into deleting the temp file created my other users but that wont work either.

If anyone has any ideas at all pleaase let me know. Its becoming impossible.

Upvote 0
Let me say right off the bat that I'm completely unleared in VBA, but is there a way to write code to have the worksheet save and close itself after a period of inactivity? I bet one of the gurus would be able to figure out how to do it if it can be done.

Upvote 0
Ha, Ha,
Im in the process of writing VBA to give a " SHUT THE FILE!!!" message but i don't want the file to save unless someone clicks save, just in case they are in the middle of something and screw it up. I might do a macro that just closes the file :)
thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back