Excel Macro To Track Who Opens File

JADownie

I would like to create a macro that every time you open a workbook it writes the username and time it was opened to a hidden worksheet in the same (or different) workbook. First thing is that possible? Secondly if so, how?

If someone has done this or can provide me with any insight to a process for doing so, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

So just to make sure, the original file would have to be the one opened for the tracker to track the username and not the copied file?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
If you open the original the data will be written in the original. If you open the copy the data will be written in the copy.

Upvote 0
This thread has been very helpful! But is there a way to track who is opening the file and and track the people who are opening the file in "read only". I have a workbook that i've been asked to "monitor" who is using it to see if the time my area puts into updating the data is worth it. So I need to create a log of everyone who clicks and opens the file. Can this be done?

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Do you know if there is any way to make this code compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of excel? I am having issues running on 64 bit.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back