CountIf problems

jlbecker67

I have a problem and need some help. I have three columns that have demographic information that I need to count in several different ways.
Example:
Column A: Age
Column B: Sex
Column C: Race

I want to find how many kids of an age range that at male or female and what race. Does that make sense?
I want to know how many 6 year old male caucasians there are.(That is just an example) I will change the criteria as needed.
Thanks so much for your help.

Jerry

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It sounds like your data is crying out for a Pivot table rather than a bunch of countif formulae?

Upvote 0
There's loads you can do with pivot tables and I'll admit I'm not an expert by any means on this.

Simple way to start to learn, would be to select the table holding your data, go to Tools>Pivot tables on the menus.
Then go through the wizard, telling it you want to create a pivot table in your existing worksheet with the data you've already selected.
This finishes you up with a empty table, and a toolbar with your column headings in it.
Drag one of your headings to the row element, another to the column and see what you get. You can then format it to count up the items in the body of the table or whatever.
Have a play and see how you get on.

Rgds
AJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back