optimize vba for i7 procesor and 64 bit

mountainclimber11

Board Regular
Hello,

Here is what I have:
1) an i7 (8 core) processor,
2) 64 bit machine,
3) Excel 2007 (32 bit),
4) a massive permutation program written in VBA with lots of seemingly unavoidable loops that take weeks to run,
5) one (of 8) cores is about maxed out constently while this program runs.

Questions:
a) What options do I have to speed this program up?
b) How can I take advanage of the other 7 processors?
c) Is there anything I can do regarding the 64 bit machine / 32 bit Excel situation and would it help with anything (not just speed)?
c) Is there any way to run two VBA scripts at once on one machine?
d) Any links on the subject would be great.

I did some searching online and didn't see any way to take advantage of the multi-core processor using VBA nor did I see a 64 bit version of Excel. (It looked like a 64 bit Excel is either in beta or will be out in 2010.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I don't know about optimizing VBA for 64-bit, but have you asked around about your VBA code itself to see if there are better ways to code it and avoid the endless loops. Often there are alternate ways to code that could significantly improve performance by orders of magnitude.

Upvote 0
You have code that takes weeks to run?:eek:

Are you sure Excel/VBA is the right tool for the job?

The longest I've seen code running was for about 7 hours, ie a working day.

Admittedly it didn't involve permutations/whatever but as soon as I imported the data involved to Access I was able to write a query in minutes that gave the same results as the code in seconds.

If you must use VBA then I agree with AlphaFrog - it's probably the code you should be looking at rather than trying to 'optimize' the hardware.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks. Well, I didn't post my code last time because its liternally 4000 lines long (with a ton of comments/notes). However, below is simplified version of what I am doing. The code below is within 3 other loops, but they are not as time consuming as these. The time consumer in my program is the massive amount of iterations that have to be done because I'm looking at as many as 274,124,700,000 permutations if I run the program once.

Here are the detail on the permutation value if you want them:
You can find this value via this equation:
n!/(r!(n-r)!)
...where r is the number chosen and n is the number that can be chosen from. n can be any integer from 1 to 200 and r can be any integer from 1 to 5....and that entire process is repeated as many as 30,000 times. Now I know this is not realistic unless I used a super computer or something, but I can pair things down to a managable number of iterations by reducing r and n that I discussed above. "Managable" to me is about a week per run. But of course I would like to maximize what I can do during that week...hence my post.

Anyway, here is the simplied version of the part of the program that is repeated many times over (there is a ton more code that is not used as much):

Code:
Do While iUpperBoundIndexComboArray <> iIndyCount And iUpperBoundIndexComboArray <> 6 'will repeat combos over and over again b/c statics are reset for next loop

Dim iaIndexPerm() As Variant 
                                vaIndexPerm = PowerSet5(iIndyCount, bResetStatics) 'return the next combination of the indices needed
                                bResetStatics = False 'so that statics in PowerSet5 won't reset during loop
                                iUpperBoundIndexComboArray = UBound(vaIndexPerm)
                                If iUpperBoundIndexComboArray >= 6 Then
                                    Exit Do 'skip backtest if it is last combo (PowerSet5 sends 6 element array to signal last combo has already been given
                                End If
                                Dim bStopPermuting As Boolean
                                bStopPermuting = False
'PERMUTATION LOOP..........................................................................................................................................
                                Do While bStopPermuting = False 'will run through all permutations of each combination then ask for new combo to permute
                                                                'each permuation is a input for test method
                                    Dim greater_c As Double
                                    greater_c = Empty
                                    Dim greater_s As Double
                                    greater_s = Empty
                                    ReDim isgreaternowArray(3) As Variant
                                    Dim keepdoinggreaternow As Boolean
                                    keepdoinggreaternow = True

Dim i As Integer
                                    For i = 1 To iUpperBoundIndexComboArray

Workbooks(straIndyArray(vaIndexPerm(i))).Activate 'get the file name for indy, including file extension

'greaternow...........................................................................................................start

If do_greaternow And keepdoinggreaternow Then  'keepdoing_greaternow is used and isgreater starts false so single bar test will be false

ReDim isgreaternowArray(3) 'erase the last values
                                            isgreaternowArray = greaternow(i, greater_c, greater_s, comptoprange, seriestoprange)
                                            greater_c = isgreaternowArray(2) 'store the last values for comparison to the next
                                            greater_s = isgreaternowArray(3) 'same as above but for series

If isgreaternowArray(1) = False And i <> 1 Then ' And new indy <> 1 b/c comparison is always false for one indy
                                                    keepdoinggreaternow = False 'part of the comparison was false so stop doing this test method for this permutation
                                            End If
                                        End If
                        'greaternow.............................................................................................................end

'other test methods here...............................................<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Next i 'goes through indys of permutation one by one, loop exits when permuation is finished

'Record test LABELS that were true in permuation loop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Record test LABELS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Record test LABELS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............................................................................................................................................
                                        'duplicates would be made if RepCheck was not used, b/c comp is compared to each series
                                        Dim strTestLabel As String
                                        If isgreaternowArray(1) = True Then

strTestLabel = BuildTestLabel(straIndyArray, iaIndexPerm, "GtrNw", bb, compmoverow)
                                            result = RepCheck_RecordTestLabelToPriceFile(strTestLabel)

If result = True And bResultFound = False Then 'false = rep found
                                                bResultFound = True 'must be done in every criteria recording section
                                            End If

End If

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                                '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                                    bStopPermuting = PermuteIndices(iaIndexPerm)                   'permutes the given combination of indices and returns bool used in Do While
                                Loop 'Do While bStopPermuting = False ...go through ea permutation '<-keep together
                                If tLastTime + TimeValue("00:10:00") < Now Then
                                    Application.StatusBar = "Perm: " & Join(vaIndexPerm, "_") & ",  bb: " & bb & ",   Series: " & seriesmoverow & ", Comp: " & compmoverow & "  (This status will update again at: " & Now + TimeValue("00:10:00")
                                    tLastTime = Now
                                End If
                            Loop 'Do While iUpperBoundIndexComboArray >=6 .....go through each combination and let next look cycle through the permutation of that
                                'combination

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What, in words, is the code meant to do?

There's a couple of things I can think of that might be changed, though I couldn't tell you if they'll have any impact on performance.

The first thing is to use Long, not Integer.

The second is don't declare variables in the middle of the code, especially within loops.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind I indented the code to make it a little easier to understand, ish.:)

And you don't need to initialize your boolean variables - there default value is False as far as I know.
Code:
Dim iaIndexPerm() As Variant    'join only works with string and variant
Dim greater_c As Double
Dim greater_s As Double
Dim keepdoinggreaternow As Boolean
Dim strTestLabel As String
Dim I As Integer
Dim bStopPermuting As Boolean

Do While iUpperBoundIndexComboArray <> iIndyCount And iUpperBoundIndexComboArray <> 6    'will repeat combos over and over again b/c statics are reset for next loop

iaIndexPerm = PowerSet5(iIndyCount, bResetStatics)    'return the next combination of the indices needed

bResetStatics = False    'so that statics in PowerSet5 won't reset during loop

iUpperBoundIndexComboArray = UBound(iaIndexPerm)

If iUpperBoundIndexComboArray >= 6 Then
            Exit Do    'skip backtest if it is last combo (PowerSet5 sends 6 element array to signal last combo has already been given
        End If

bStopPermuting = False
        'PERMUTATION LOOP..........................................................................................................................................
        Do While bStopPermuting = False    'will run through all permutations of each combination then ask for new combo to permute
            'each permuation is a input for test method
            greater_c = Empty
            greater_s = Empty
            ReDim isgreaternowArray(3) As Variant
            keepdoinggreaternow = True

For I = 1 To iUpperBoundIndexComboArray
                Workbooks(straIndyArray(iaIndexPerm(I))).Activate    'get the file name for indy, including file extension
                'greaternow...........................................................................................................start
                If do_greaternow And keepdoinggreaternow Then  'keepdoing_greaternow is used and isgreater starts false so single bar test will be false
                    ReDim isgreaternowArray(3)    'erase the last values
                    isgreaternowArray = greaternow(I, greater_c, greater_s, comptoprange, seriestoprange)
                    greater_c = isgreaternowArray(2)    'store the last values for comparison to the next
                    greater_s = isgreaternowArray(3)    'same as above but for series
                    If isgreaternowArray(1) = False And I <> 1 Then    ' And new indy <> 1 b/c comparison is always false for one indy
                        keepdoinggreaternow = False    'part of the comparison was false so stop doing this test method for this permutation
                    End If
                End If
                'greaternow.............................................................................................................end
                'other test methods here...............................................<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            Next I    'goes through indys of permutation one by one, loop exits when permuation is finished
            'Record test LABELS that were true in permuation loop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Record test LABELS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Record test LABELS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............................................................................................................................................
            'duplicates would be made if RepCheck was not used, b/c comp is compared to each series
            If isgreaternowArray(1) = True Then
                strTestLabel = BuildTestLabel(straIndyArray, iaIndexPerm, "GtrNw", bb, compmoverow)
                If result = True And bResultFound = False Then    'false = rep found
                    bResultFound = True    'must be done in every criteria recording section
                End If
            End If
            '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
            bStopPermuting = PermuteIndices(iaIndexPerm)                   'permutes the given combination of indices and returns bool used in Do While
        Loop    'Do While bStopPermuting = False ...go through ea permutation '<-keep together
        If tLastTime + TimeValue("00:10:00") < Now Then
            Application.StatusBar = "Perm: " & Join(iaIndexPerm, "_") & ",  bb: " & bb & ",   Series: " & seriesmoverow & ", Comp: " & compmoverow & "  (This status will update again at: " & Now + TimeValue("00:10:00")
            tLastTime = Now
        End If
    Loop    'Do While iUpperBoundIndexComboArray >=6 .....go through each combination and let next look cycle through the permutation of that
    'combination

Upvote 0
Correction: max permutations-> 2,741,248,500,000
And "iaIndexPerm" should be "vaIndexPerm" throughout. It is an array of variants. I missed a few in my last post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could you explain in words what you are trying to do?

I honestly don't think Excel/VBA is the tool to deal with that many permutations.:)

Is this code really taking a week to run on a 64-bit machine with 8 processors?

If it is there must be something not quite right somewhere.

Upvote 0
>>Thanks. My notes are embedded below:

What, in words, is the code meant to do?

>>Summary:
Its a trading analytics tools. Basically I find pattners in the market and build trading machines based on it. (I have an MS in Finance/Investments and I code as necessary.)
Here are the basic steps:
1)Find all combinations
2)Find all permuations of all combinations
3)Activate correct file with desired values using permuations as indices
4)Do a comparison of the values
5)Record the observation if it was intersting
6)Repeat

Here are the details ...For the code I posted (the entire program description would take a book to explain):

The first Do While Loop goes through every combination of a set of 200 values 1 through 200 choosing 1 then 2 values and so on to 5 values (my PowerSet5 function). So:
One digit:
3... to 200
then two digits:
1 2
1 3
1 4...to 199 200
then 3 digits
1 2 3
1 2 4
1 2 5....to 198 199 200
...on up to five digits where the first 5 digit combination would be 1 2 3 4 5 and the last combination would be 196 197 198 199 200

The the next loop does permuations of each of these combinations:
The first permutation would just be 1 and the last permutation would be 200 199 198 197 196.
For example a 3 digit combination of 1 2 3 would have these permutations:
1 2 3
1 2 4
1 2 5...to 3 2 1
There permutations are all done at the bottom of the second loop show above using:
Code:
bStopPermuting = PermuteIndices(vaIndexPerm)

The "For i = 1 To iUpperBoundIndexComboArray" loop:
The permutations of combinations are actually idices for referencing different string file names in a array of strings called straIndyArray. I then use those file names to open files with the values I want. The use of the permuted indices to find the file name and open up a file with the proper values on it is done on this line:
Code:
Workbooks(straIndyArray(vaIndexPerm(i))).Activate

With the proper file active (leave the 200 files open to save time), I reference certain cell values for comparison on these individual files. I only show one comparison function in my code (to keep it simple):
Code:
isgreaternowArray = greaternow(i, greater_c, greater_s, comptoprange, seriestoprange)

Then after the "For i = 1 To iUpperBoundIndexComboArray" loop, if I found something of interest, I build a label (for reference in a different part of the program not discussed here) and check to see if I already found this 'thing of interest' and record the label if I did not already observe it and record it before. This is label building, checking and recording is done in:
Code:
strTestLabel = BuildTestLabel(straIndyArray, vaIndexPerm, "GtrNw", bb, compmoverow)

Then, as mentioned above in the "second loop" I find the next permuation of the combination of Indy's via:
Code:

And at the end of the outter most loop, the "first do while" discussed in the beginning of this post, I find the next permutation of the indices of the combinations that were found:
Code:

Oh and at the bottom of the outter most loop I update the status bar every 10 minutes...just to be sure its all working still....may take out once I am all finished.

The first thing is to use Long, not Integer.
>>Everything that is a Long must be a Long (unless I missed one or two). I've checked this already.

The second is don't declare variables in the middle of the code, especially within loops.
>>I've put a timer on the Dim's and it makes zero time difference. Personally I like the Dim's as close to where I use the variable as possible for reference etc. I know you VBA guys like your at the top...sorry that would drive me crazy. :) Here is an example how I timed it (I found this online somewhere):
Code:
Sub foo()
Dim Ctr1 As Currency, Ctr2 As Currency, Freq As Currency
Dim Overhead As Currency
Dim i As Long

QueryPerformanceFrequency Freq
QueryPerformanceCounter Ctr1
QueryPerformanceCounter Ctr2
Overhead = Ctr2 - Ctr1 ' determine API overhead
QueryPerformanceCounter Ctr1 ' time loop
For i = 1 To 100000

Dim my_something as Long 'time it with and without this line

Next
QueryPerformanceCounter Ctr2
Debug.Print (Ctr2 - Ctr1 - Overhead) / Freq
End Sub

Oh, and I hope you don't mind I indented the code to make it a little easier to understand, ish.:)
>>No problem at all, thanks...

And you don't need to initialize your boolean variables - there default value is False as far as I know.
>>I think every place I do this it needs to be done since I need to reset them given some contraints. But I'll take another look at that. Thanks!

Any and all suggests are welcome!

Upvote 0
I agree that VBA is not the best, but I don't know SQL or something like that, that would work better.

I think the issue is the number iterations, which is something I can deal with, but I need to maximize/optimize things.

Note: I WANT to use all 8 processors, but VBA will only use one.

Could you explain in words what you are trying to do?

I honestly don't think Excel/VBA is the tool to deal with that many permutations.:)

Is this code really taking a week to run on a 64-bit machine with 8 processors?

If it is there must be something not quite right somewhere.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back