links...

laurajean100

Why is it not possible to 'Change Source'
within a file, to the file itself? ...AND
how can I edit the links to be self-referencing? (in 97 SR-1)
This message was edited by laurajean100 on 2002-02-17 16:56
This message was edited by laurajean100 on 2002-02-17 17:17

OK, maybe I overstated my knowledge about Edit/Links...
no prob pointing links to my desktop file,
and even specifying the worksheet,
but how do i point to its cell A1 which contains "delete me"???

(is the burning folder a very BAD thing???)
This message was edited by laurajean100 on 2002-02-18 14:43

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi Laura

For waht its worth Chris D is on the money correct follow him, i chat to Chris a few times on email hes been on about links ever since i have klnow him, his A1 delete me trick works.

I tend to highlight (show) all the links / formulas and have a look manually and hunt the terror down.

I fine that Vlooks are a colprit as the dont update if you arcvive a months finance details and the Vlookup was linked to data sheet all goes horribly wrong.

I have MASSIVE sheets will billions of fromulas and cells of data and i know the woorkbooks inside out back wards and standing on my head wareing a blind fold playing the drumbs and srtrumming the violin! but all sheets need and require careful daily maintance so you / i the opperator should know the where what at a snap..

Edit and links will shows all linked data so can edit or remove or whatever....

Would be my other suggestion -

Hot tip ---- i have a sheet called test which i have many bizzar formula VBA codes and so on all tests so why not assign a reange to house links data and protect them cells just in cae you delete them them you have record ao all links and where they are should you need to refer to them

In Test sheet i have hundreda of formulas i have written so i can reuse them,,, all VBA i have also i sheet VBA so i can add them as needs be...

So thought

HTH
Rdgs
==========
Jack

Upvote 0
I believe, I believe!

no prob pointing links to my desktop file,
and even specifying the worksheet,
***but HOW do i point to its cell A1 which contains "delete me"???
This message was edited by laurajean100 on 2002-02-18 19:47

Upvote 0
laurajean100
the trick is to leave the 'links.xls' workbook with Sheet1A1 (or whatever the cell is that says 'delete me') selected. then when you go to change source from your current source to links.xls it will automatically link to Sheet1A1.
anno

Upvote 0
btw (anno again but a frivolous post so i don't want it to count) the flames are a good thing, if attracting attention is your bag - it just means > 10 posts since you last looked or something like that - this post has i think attracted the largest numbers of views and among the highest number of posts.
:)

Upvote 0
I've been trying to delete phantom links and succeeded in one case using the tips I've seen in this thread. I have another case that's a little tougher.

I moved each worksheet from a workbook with phantom links to a new workbook. Then I looked at each new workbook to see which one had the link. They all did.

I started working with one and deleted two charts, thinking that the phantom links were wrapped up in the charts somehow. The phantom links remained. I then deleted all data and formulas from the worksheet. I am left with a completely empty worksheet; no data, no formulas, no special formatting, nothing. The phantom links remain.

Phantom is a pretty good work for them, I guess. What can a person try after dumping out everything in the spreadsheet?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back