Personal.xlsx worksheet problem

jakeman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello fellow Excel users -

here is my problem. I am trying to store my macros to the Personal.xlsx file so that I can use them whenever I want, regardless of the workbook I'm using. I had to create the Personal.xlsx workbook since there wasn't one stored to my computer already, and I stored it to the following path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\Personal.xlsx

Now, I hid the Personal.xlsx worksheet so that it would operate in the background and wouldn't appear whenever I opened Excel. However, when I open Excel now, the grid area is blank and no worksheet opens automatically. I have to manually create a new worksheet each time I open Excel which is annoying.

I've never had any problems with hiding the Personal.xls worksheet in Excel 2003 and opening Excel afterward.

Also, one forum I visited suggested running the excel.exe /unregserver in the Start menu and then running excel.exe /regserver and I tried that but it didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Try this:

Open the Personal.xlsx workbook, unhide it and save it as Personal.xlsm format (Excel Macro-Enabled workbook) and hide it.
Then go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\ and delete the Personal.xlsx file.

Im not sure that you are using the right path for a Personal macro workbook, I use this path

C:\Users\Paul\Application Data\Microsoft\XLStart

HTH

Regards

Paul

Upvote 0
Try this:

Open the Personal.xlsx workbook, unhide it and save it as Personal.xlsm format (Excel Macro-Enabled workbook) and hide it.
Then go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\ and delete the Personal.xlsx file.

Im not sure that you are using the right path for a Personal macro workbook, I use this path

C:\Users\Paul\Application Data\Microsoft\XLStart

HTH

Regards

Paul

Paul - thanks for taking a stab at this.

I did as you suggested and created the Macro-Enabled workbook (.xlsm format), hid it, and then deleted the .xlsx version so now I have only the Personal.xlsm file under the \XLSTART file path. You were right, the path name I was using was different from where it should have been. I verified that by testing the path name in the VBE under the Immediate section (using this command: ?Application.StartupPath).

Anyway, it's incredibly frustrating because that did not solve the problem and your solution seemed like it would be just a simple fix. Still, when I open Excel it opens blank.

Any other ideas, Paul? Thanks, man.

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can suggest is to put the filepath in the Excel Options under Advanced / Open files in this folder when Excel starts.

Regards

Paul

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can suggest is to put the filepath in the Excel Options under Advanced / Open files in this folder when Excel starts.

Regards

Paul

Paul - I'm not sure I follow your instructions above. Can you elaborate a little more? If I go to Excel Options -- Advanced -- I don't see where the filepath would be assigned.

Upvote 0
Paul - I'm not sure I follow your instructions above. Can you elaborate a little more? If I go to Excel Options -- Advanced -- I don't see where the filepath would be assigned.

Paul - never mind...I figured it out. It wasn't the path it was the file type extension. Actually, what I need to do was save Excel as Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet (.xlsb). When I created the Personal.xlsb file and hid the worksheet, I could go into Excel now and a new worksheet would open up this time.

Thanks for your help willingness to help, though.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back