Excel Size limits

1ststep

I was first wondering what is the maximum size for an excel file/spreadsheet. Also at work someone with a file that is about 5megs or so is loosing from time to time comments. Sometimes they loose the whole comment and not the comment mark and other times they do. I hope hou can give us some insight to this problem. Have a great day

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Excel limits are as follows:

1.Maximum number of open documents is limited by available memory and system resources
2.Maximum sheet size is 16,384 rows by 256 columns for a total of 4,194,304 cells per sheet.
3.Maximum number of sheets in a single workbook is 255
4.Total number of possible cells is 1,069,547,520 if your computer has enough memory in it.
5.Column width is 0 to 255 characters. Row height is 0 to 409 points
6.Maximum length of cell contents (text) is 255 characters
7.Maximum length of formula contents is 1024 characters

Upvote 0
Not sure of what you mean by size of a spread sheet (In cells its 65,536 rows, 256 columns or each sheet has 16,777,217 cells)
It would take you 194 days to fill a number or letter in each cell at a rate of 1 cell per secound to fill one sheet! If you printed it all out it would requir aprox. 36,000 sheets of paper! And you can have as many sheets as you want! Of course your system resources would run out probley before you did that depending on your P.C.

As far as you friends problem having a 5 meg project is common- When you say you lose the comments , Im assuming that you mean when the program is opened? Is it always the same comments that are erased or is it diffrent comments each time?

Upvote 0
hi

Ermm i like this and offer some under cover tips that could help just a way or working, im extreamly lazy and work smart not hard of cause, how else can i play with Excel...

OK 5 MB is fine she will be fine on any PC you can run windows BAR server editions and any XP related software. WinY2K will run if like a drung dog.

Now over save 7-8mg shes carrying a bag to much shopping so you need to tak care of you or no dinner tonight... (excel a she as i love her and shes my best friend) now i have sheets that are 27mb and 35mb is slow heavy and not recomended.

But this is my tip:

any formula i write i write it down REGARDLESS, i know sad and boring but true and index card them i also have a sheet that called Jack FOrmula and VBA i know even sadder, but also i have section in that sheet wehere i have cells with my comments in so what i do id the A5 will read H34 comment, cell B5 will read Jacks comment This cell is directe dfor .. bla bla blar!

The comment i imput via VBA ok i have clouds that are a light blue colour and whit fulffy cloud on it also and link the cell data in B5 to this comment. BINGO all there to read but, who cares if lost just click and its back........ i BACK up copy sheets to Network and also the entire book regula so i dont care if i loose the lot...

just some ideas, let me know if you need more details on a part ill tell more if your intrested.

yes i used to have the teletubbies as a comment once! dam i must get out more.

Upvote 0
You had indicated in an earlier e-mail that the maximum characters per cell is 255 - Anyway to expand the capacity? I can enter data beyond 255 characters; however, anything beyond 255 will not print when I print the spreadsheet. Thank you! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back