disable copy paste

vsts2007

Board Regular
Is is possible to disable copy pasting of data in excel
I tried with a macro but they are disabling the macros and copying the data
is there any way to avoid popup of macros when we open excel sheet

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi, stopping copying and pasting is a bit vague. Are you able to expand upon what your trying to achieve and perhaps people may have some ideas for you.

You can protect sheets from editing meaning you cant change values at all but that may not be what your wanting to achieve.

You cannot enforce users to enable macros - it's a security feature. However, you can encourage them to use macros. You can create a sheet that advises the user they must use macros to enable the workbook with all other sheets hidden. You have Workbook_Open event that unhides all the other sheets which will only occur if they enabled macros. You will also need a Workbook_Close event for you hide all the other sheets again (except for the please enable macros sheet) and save the workbook. May not be ideal in certain situations such as if the user makes a mistake they can close the workbook without saving, however if your wanting to hide the sheets again you need to save the workbook.

regards,
Graham

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I have one reimbursement form, thru which staff will claim their expenses. i designed it in manner that they can only enter the data and they cannot format it. some members are trying to copy the whole book and trying to make changes according to their needs.

sometimes there is no resemblance; (what I prepared and what they submitted)

so i want to restrict them to copy the data, i did it with a macro. now they are disabling the macro and copying the book.

is there any chances to restrict

vikas

Upvote 0
From someone who's job was process improvement and re-engineering once upon a time this to me indicates deeper issues.

The major issue appears to be either training and/or usability. I think you need to get to the root cause and understand why they are going to these lengths and not using your workbook. If you understand why they are copying it perhaps you have a greater chance to resolve. They may for example, be altering it because the options on the Wb do not cover all the available scenarios, could be they have the same expenses each month so is easier for them to copy and paste certain data rather than enter it in every month, perhaps they are new and don't know the process etc.

You could go hard core and just reject the spreadsheet saying 'wrong form, use xyz' but perhaps this is an opportunity to see what can be improved and make yourself a hero by making things easier for them.

You cannot really stop people copying a file but via macros you could delete the workbook if it's not in a particular location.

regards,
Graham

Upvote 0
How can you stop someone copying a file? You can't but you can restrict permissions at the O/S level.

Can you protect the workbook and only have certain areas where they can type information and preserve your formatting? Absolutely via Sheet and/or Workbook protection as previously advised.

Can you make users use your wb? No.

Will you understand why users are not doing what you want? By not talking to them - unlikely. By talking to them - yes.

Upvote 0
sir

did i said that the users are not talking to me
they are doing what they want, with what they are comfortable
I want to avoid that; thats what i am trying to do

you said it is not possible
now i am not thinking to stop them from copying the data
thanks for the help

Upvote 0
I imagine you know what you are doing but if you want to stop your customers from doing what they are comfortable with, at some point it will become a case of "you vs. them." And, someone in the company will decide who loses.

Do keep in mind that people do something because it works for them. If your way is better it shouldn't be too difficult to convince them of it. If it saves them time or money or effort, why won't they adopt a new approach? It might take a while but eventually more and more people will see the value in the new approach.

On the other hand, if what you propose is good for you because it makes your life easy but imposes a greater cost on your customers, they will resist.

The last time someone did this to me, after trying to be reasonable for a couple of days, I escalated the problem -- and I am sure others did too. The next day the joker who insisted "you have no choice, everyone has to follow this new protocol" was looking for a new job.

sir

did i said that the users are not talking to me
they are doing what they want, with what they are comfortable
I want to avoid that; thats what i am trying to do

you said it is not possible
now i am not thinking to stop them from copying the data
thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back