Conditional format with multiple indirects

pilot

Please help with this formula.
Year is in $AE$2
Month is in $A5, $A7, $A9... and is 3 characters text as JAN, FEB, MAR...
Day (1 - 31) is in B$4:AF$4
I want to conditionally format every cell (B5:AF27) if date (obtained using INDIRECTs) is Sat, Sun or invalid (April 31st). For example, X7 would be shaded because it is Feb 23, 2002 which is Saturday. Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
On 2002-02-22 13:29, pilot wrote:
Year is in $AE$2
I want to conditionally format every cell (B5:AF27) if date (obtained using INDIRECTs) is Sat, Sun or invalid (April 31st). For example, X7 would be shaded because it is Feb 23, 2002 which is Saturday. Many thanks.

Don't know why you need INDIRECT...
If you put the numbers 1-12 in your MONTH cells, and format as "mmm", you can use the DATE function for your dates. At any rate, here is a formula you can use for conditional formatting:

=MOD(WEEKDAY(B5),7)<=1

Let me know if you can't get it to work and I can send you an example (most likely Monday, however).

Have a good weekend,

Russell

Upvote 0
Year is in $AE$2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know why you need INDIRECT...
If you put the numbers 1-12 in your MONTH cells, and format as "mmm", you can use the DATE function for your dates. At any rate, here is a formula you can use for conditional formatting:

=MOD(WEEKDAY(B5),7)<=1

Let me know if you can't get it to work and I can send you an example (most likely Monday, however).

Have a good weekend,

Russell
--------------------------------------------

Don't think this will work. B5 corresponds to JAN (Row 5) 1 (Col B) but the cell is empty (or has text in it), not the date. That's why I thought INDIRECT was required.

I knew I could change month from text to mmm formatted 1-12 but I'm trying to use data exactly as it has been provided to me, therefore prefer to make the formula handle JAN to 1, etc.

Upvote 0
If you have your dates (however you have created them) in cells B5-whatever, then you can use the conditional format formula that I provided. If you can't get it to work, send me the workbook (or a sample) and I can get to it on Monday or Tuesday.

-rh

Upvote 0
Dates are not in B5:AF27. Months are in Col A and days of the month are in Row 4. Any date in the year is inferred by the Row/Col intersection, i.e. Row 7 is Feb, Col X is day 23 so X7 corresponds to 02-23-02. Appreciate your continued help. Can send file if still needed.
This message was edited by pilot on 2002-02-23 18:29

Upvote 0
I figured it out, all but two aspects. Here's the Conditional Format formula in B5 (sets shaded background) if Sat or Sun.

=WEEKDAY(DATE($AE$2,MONTH($A5),B$4),2)>5

I did change JAN text to 1, etc. Also, invalid dates in my grid are treated as valid dates in next month (Apr 31 translates to May 1). Will post these a new questions. Thanks, Russell.

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-24 12:37, pilot wrote:
I figured it out, all but two aspects. Here's the Conditional Format formula in B5 (sets shaded background) if Sat or Sun.

I did change JAN text to 1, etc. Also, invalid dates in my grid are treated as valid dates in next month (Apr 31 translates to May 1). Will post these a new questions. Thanks, Russell.

The only thing is that the weekdays for Saturday and Sunday are 7 and 1, respectively.

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-25 11:40, Russell Hauf wrote:
On 2002-02-24 12:37, pilot wrote:

The only thing is that the weekdays for Saturday and Sunday are 7 and 1, respectively.

Russell,

As a side-effect of a question pilot posted under the title "Invalid dates", I also took up (or rather "dragged into") this cond format question. See that post.

BTW, you can give an additional param to weekday, e.g., 2, to get a different numbering of days.

Regards,

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back