Drop-down lists...or ARE they??

cdiffell

OK, this is weird. I got a spreadsheet from one of our European companies, and in it are what look like combo boxes. But they do not appear to be a control box because if I use the arrow keys to move to the cell containing the drop-down list, I see the value in the cell up in the formula bar area at the top. The lists are calling from named ranges on another sheet, but I cannot right-click on the drop-down list to view its properties. I can type into the drop-down list and override the choices by typing anything of mine. The workbook is not protected and there are no macros visible in the sheet. This was not created using data validation because the arrows appear even when the cell is not active.

Sorry if this description is vague; I tried to explain it as best as possible. Does anyone know what in the world these are?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Data Validation?

Click on the cell in question then the menu:

Data > Validation

Is there anything in the box that pops up?

Upvote 0
They are not data validation. That's the first thing I checked. Nothing appears when I select the cell then go to Validation. Also, I cannot select the cell by clicking; any clicks bring me into the drop-down list. I have to use the arrow keys to navigate from another cell to get to the one "under" the list.

Upvote 0
I think that it is a combobox. Open your control toolbox toolbar, and click the design mode icon. Then you should be able to right-click on the combobox and access its properties.

Upvote 0
What you describe isn't this BUT have you tried to see if it's a Combobox from the Forms Toolbox. Hold Ctrl and see if the pointer turns into a pointer with a plus next to it, if so you can select it and right-click.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back