How to Embed PDF file on Excel worksheet

mgul

Hello;

I have excel 2003. I want to embed couple of PDF file on one excel sheet in the way that if I double click on the embedded pdf file it open as PDF on separate window. I have seen that kind of excel sheet and have used in the same way. But I do not have that excel file any more otherewise I just copy the formula.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Try menu (Excel 2003) or Ribbon (Excel2007): Insert - Object - From file (as icon)

Upvote 0
You can embed a pdf or other types of objects with Insert | Object. Typically in this case you'd choose "from file", browse out to your file, and then embed it. You can choose to just show an icon or the whole document in Excel.

There is an option to "link" to the file - then the file is not really "in Excel" - rather, Excel just knows where it is. This is helpful since updates or changes to the original file are updated in Excel (such as graph data). A pdf document might be something that isn't going to change and you may not want this kind of linked object - also it won't break if files are moved.

Upvote 0
Guys;

I tried many time to Inser - Object- From File with all available option.
But I am getting an error called:

"CAN NOT INSERT OBJECT"

I don't know why this error is coming.

Assistance is needed

Thanks

Upvote 0
Maybe, Worksheet Protection is on?
Or, if the workbook is a Shared Workbook ... it may not work.

Upvote 0
There would be some additional info in error message about wrong Class or DLL registration in case of not compatible versions of DLL were installed (overwritten).

Example of such info:
"Cannot insert object" in Excel
{ac9f2f90-e877-11ce-9f68-00aa00574a4f} Class Not Registered.
fm20.dll was unable to register itself in the system registry

For that case you can try recommendation described in Microsoft Excel cannot insert object.
The same issue can happen with other DLLs sounded in error message.

Can you insert other types of files in new empty workbook’s sheet?
Try for example to embed the Excel file as icon.
If ok then the reason can be in PDF reader software registration, else the reinstallation of Excel is recommended.

Upvote 0
Hello- just an extension of this question. Once you embed the pdf to the Excel worksheet, how can you email/share the spreadsheet with the pdf still embeded. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello- just an extension of this question. Once you embed the pdf to the Excel worksheet, how can you email/share the spreadsheet with the pdf still embeded. Thanks!
Hi,

It seems exactly the same as sending workbook without embedded document.
For example, load file into Excel, choose menu File – Send to – Mail recipient (as attachment). I’ve found this working.
Where you’ve stuck in this case?

Regards

Upvote 0
I've tried to send it this way with the appropriate PDF files, but when clicking on the embedded icon on the spreadsheet it comes up as an error.

Upvote 0
Hi,

It seems exactly the same as sending workbook without embedded document.
For example, load file into Excel, choose menu File – Send to – Mail recipient (as attachment). I’ve found this working.
Where you’ve stuck in this case?

Regards

Hi, I tried to do that. But still I cannot load the file I embedded. Do you have another way for this? Hoping for your immediate response. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back