COUNTIF problems... Has anyone else seen this?

Wingz

I am making reference to a range in another workbook(workbbok is closed at the time) and performing a COUNTIF formula. I get a #Value error UNTIL I open up the file. As soon as the file being referenced gets open, the formula works perfectly. When I reference that file NOT using a COUNTIF statement, it works fine as well so I know the reference syntax is correct. The funny thing is, this COUNTIF statement worked fine yesterday and now today it does not. I don't know if I changed something that would casue this. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hmmm... I just went and tried a formula on a co-worker's machine and I got the same thing. The strange thing is, when I use the SUM formula, it works fine. The problem appears to be the COUNTIF formula itself. Anyone else want to give it a try?
Make an excel file called test.xls and put in the numbers 1 through 10 in a1:a10. Then save and close that file as c:My Documentstest.xls. Open up a new file and in a1 type type in the formula =countif('c:My Documents[test.xls]Sheet1'!a1:a10,1)
* This should give you a #Value.
If you open up the test.xls file, it will give you the correct answer(which is 1 in this case)
Alternatively, you can leave the test.xls file closed and change the formula to read =sum('c:My Documents[test.xls]Sheet1'!a1:a10) This will also produce the correct answer.
This has me stumped.... Please help!

Upvote 0
Mark,

Thank you so much. I though I was losing my mind! Makes me feel a little bit better to know that I had the logic right and it is an Excel flaw. Whew... I was about to throw in the towel!

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-11 14:06, Wingz wrote:
Mark,

Thank you so much. I though I was losing my mind! Makes me feel a little bit better to know that I had the logic right and it is an Excel flaw. Whew... I was about to throw in the towel!

I wouldn't call it an "Excel flaw". It's just a limitation of COUNTIF, SUMIF, etc. Simply use an equivalent array formula as suggested by the article.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back