compare columns for redundant text entries

lapsang

Hi,
I just found your website this morning and love it! I am an low-intermediate user and have the following question. I've looked in your tip archive and found some solutions that come close and maybe you've already answered this, if so forgive me. I have 3 large equipment lists (text) with hundreds of pieces of equipment listed in single columns in different worksheets of a single workbook. Somebody else came up with these lists and I suspect that there are duplicate entries between all of them, and each list should be filled with unique entries( for example one column should only be fruits and another should only list vegetables but I'm sure there is a lettuce or two in the fruit list). I tried your data validation but didn't have much luck applying it to already existing lists. Can you help me?

Thanks
Dirk

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but maybe you could put everything in one long list, sort it, and type this formula in the next column: "=if(a2=a1,1,0)" in cell b2, and fill down. Copy this column and paste over itself as values. Then sort by this column. All the "ones" are repeats.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back