Why size of files getting larger

voodoo

Board Regular
I have two Excel/Macro files that are almost identical in content (sheets, modules, code etc) but very different in size. One is 815KB, the second is 1490KB.

Can anyone tell me some factors that may influence the size of macro/Excel files. I know that with VB exe files they can grow with use and sometimes need to be recompiled to make them smaller.

Is this a similar thing with Excel/Macro files? Are there any other reasons files may grow with use? Other than the forms, sheets and modules could there be other reasons one file is so much bigger than the other?

Any ideas orsuggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

voodoo

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Depends on what kind of info is being entered? Also depends on which programed is used more.

Upvote 0
Hi

To format an entire column uses the same amount of "instructions file space" as to format one cell

If you are copying and pasting formats in seperate cells, this can increase the size of your file significantly.

Tom

Upvote 0
I had this problem befor with a large Workbook linked to an outside Database. Trick was to go into Tools>Options>Calculation and Uncheck "Save External Link Values". This cut my file size down to about 1/3 the original. Another thing you can check is highlight/select all cells below and to the right of your work area and do a delete. This will ensure there isn't any stray formatting and data.

Waxaholic

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back