making sure a cell is empty

huorsa

Board Regular
How can I make sure that a cell is empty. I am concatenating several cell separated by "|" symbol and when a cell is emppty the concatenation should be || but sometimes I get | |, I don't know why because the cell looks empty.

I want to avoid the space between the pipes if the cell is empty.

Hugo

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Perhaps you could just not worry about the cell being empty and remove the spaces from your concatenated string. Assuming your resulting string is in B3, the following would remove all the spaces in it. =SUBSTITUTE(B3," ",""). If the string contains spaces you want to keep and you just want to remove a single space between the two vertical line symbols, try =SUBSTITUTE(B3,"| |","||")

JayD

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-22 17:58, huorsa wrote:
How can I make sure that a cell is empty. I am concatenating several cell separated by "|" symbol and when a cell is emppty the concatenation should be || but sometimes I get | |, I don't know why because the cell looks empty.

Hugo

Care to post the formula that you use?

Upvote 0
Hi

How can I make sure that a cell is empty

Select the cell
Right click
Clear contence

Then do as you need - can be done in range selectionor single cell, EMPTY is not cleaned cell delete or by bush space bar or delet characters

HTH

Rdgs
==========
Jack

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-23 00:38, Aladin Akyurek wrote:

Hugo

Aladin:

I am using this code in VB

acumular2 = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) & "|"

but sometimes the cell looks empty, but it isn't (it is like pressing the space bar in the cell, it looks empty because you haven't write any characters, but it is not empty because you press the space bar).

Instead og getting: HI|how||you| I get
HI|how| |you|

I want to avoid the second one.

It is a big range thaat is why I can't check cell by cell and deleted manually.

Hugo

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-23 11:09, huorsa wrote:

Hugo

Aladin:

acumular2 = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) & "|" & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) & "|"

but sometimes the cell looks empty, but it isn't (it is like pressing the space bar in the cell, it looks empty because you haven't write any characters, but it is not empty because you press the space bar).

HI|how| |you|

Hugo

Hugo,

I don't know VBA. However, I'd suggest adding the TRIM function (if exists, the VBA equivalent of it), before you concat the contents of a cell to that of another.

In the world of formulas, that would look something like:

=TRIM(A1)&"|"&TRIM(B1)&"|"&TRIM(C1)

Aladin

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-23 11:23, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
On 2002-02-23 11:09, huorsa wrote:

Hugo

Aladin:

HI|how| |you|

Hugo

Hugo,

I don't know VBA. However, I'd suggest adding the TRIM function (if exists, the VBA equivalent of it), before you concat the contents of a cell to that of another.

In the world of formulas, that would look something like:

=TRIM(A1)&"|"&TRIM(B1)&"|"&TRIM(C1)

Aladin

Can you explain me the use of the trim function.

Thanks,

Hugo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back