Can Excel compare two spreadsheets & delete duplicates?

obyone

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481462

Similiar to what the link above did, but I am a total n00b and wouldn't know the first thing about VB Scripting.

So, I have a spreadsheet with 2 years of data. Now I'm being tasked to scrub the data of specific entries. To do this I was given another spreadsheet with only a date/time code like so:

2010/02/26 14:31:31

So far, I've simply been manually comparing date times and deleting the duplicate entries manually. There's over 300 duplicates and it's taking forever.

There has to be a better way. I would even be content with Excel matching them up side by side or highlighting the duplicates with a color so I can CTRL click and delete in one fell swoop.

Dear fellow forum members, can you assist a knuckle head like I in this endevor? :)

a pic of the current setup.
ScreenShot-1.jpg

green fields used to highlight that I've manually matched those two. Once matched, the one on the right will have the whole row deleted.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
If you use formulas, Excel won't "delete" duplicates...but can recreate your list in a new location excluding the duplicates.

Upvote 0
u can use match. so on Sheet1, in B1, type: =match(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,false) - and copy down.

anything that has a number (non - #N/A) would mean there's a duplicate on the other sheet. this assumes your two datasets sit in Col A on Sheet1 and Sheet2

Upvote 0
u can use match. so on Sheet1, in B1, type: =match(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,false) - and copy down.

anything that has a number (non - #N/A) would mean there's a duplicate on the other sheet. this assumes your two datasets sit in Col A on Sheet1 and Sheet2

Ok, here comes the dummy in me.

Got the formula and plugged it into I2 on Sheet 3 to compare with the second sheet given to me showing the date/times that should be removed. I wrote it like so:

=match(I2,Sheet4!$A$1:$A$1000,false)

Also tried:

=match(I2,Sheet3!$A$1:$A$1000,false)

Sheet 3 is the original sheet. It has all the original data (2 yrs worth).
Sheet 4 is the one provided to me showing which date/times need to be removed from sheet 3.
Date/times are located begining on I2 on sheet 3. Sheet 4 has date/times beginning in A1.

I get either everything shows up as #N/A or a circular error.

Upvote 0
Sulakvea, thank you so much.

I kinda stumbled on a million dollar answer on here.
I've been looking all over the net to find a way to find duplicates on multiple sheets.Couldn't find any answers.I guess nobody really knew it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back