Visual C++ abnormal program termination

BrianB

Using Office 2000 in Windows 7.

Trying to open EXCEL.EXE get message "Visual C++ Runtime Library runtime error ... abnormal program termination.

Has been working perfectly for months now.
After updating ATI display driver.

Access-Word-Powerpoint - no problems.
Removed & Reinstalled Office.
Windows System Restore back to a much earlier date.

Searching the Web gets dozens of answers nothing to do with Excel.

Any ideas please ... ?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Thanks - but found that.

Ran "View Event logs" and discovered that the problem file is C:\Windows\syswow64\SHLWAPI.dll dated 14/7/09 which is " is a library which contains functions for UNC and URL paths, registry entries, and color settings".

Interestingly before my problem started. As far as I can tell it is from a Windows Update on that day - although Excel has worked from then to now.

I am trying to find out how to replace it with an older version from another computer. Tried "move on boot" application without success.

Upvote 0
Although I have been unable to solve the problem I will record a couple of things I discovered.

My experience with Windows 7 is that older versions of everything, despite their working ok in the original installation, are gradually being blocked.

1. On looking at my C:\Windows folder and below I see a huge number of folders and files were modified on the same date as the problem file. Looks like the result of a Windows update. System Restore to an earlier date has not solved the problem. I have set it to save old file versions.

2. I was able to access the file, and change it to an earlier version by booting from a Windows 7 System Repair Disk and using the Command line. I was unable to Unregister the old or Register the new dll file with regsvr32.

I have a disc image from March which I will try first. I need a clear up anyway and it will be interesting to see what happens as the updates occur.

3. Tried Compatibility mode to Windows 2000

Looks like my Office 2000 will have to go to XP Mode. It still does everything I need.

I have decided to buy Office 2003. Hopefully this will work on the new platform and run my existing macros etc. It can now be obtained relatively cheaply. Seeing the problems people have been having with newer versions they are just not worth the money for me, and I do not want to rewrite everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back