AutoOpen.inf

KniteMare

Board Regular
AutoOpen
Is it possible to get this command to work with the A drive?
I have an application that runs both on a network and several stand alone facilities. When updates are required doing them on the Network is a breeze. BUT!! I must drive 386 miles to hit all the stand alone facilities. This takes 11 hours to complete. If I could just mail a disk to the facilities and have autorun do the dirty work that would be great. Currently I have written a .BAT file that the user double clicks and away it goes. The problem is that I have users that find even this task beyond their capabilities.
Well??? Is this convienence just reserved for CD ROM or can we get the A: Drive to reccognize it. My first attempt has met with NULL success.
Yours in EXCELent Frustration
KniteMare

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
On 2002-04-12 04:33, KniteMare wrote:
AutoOpen
Is it possible to get this command to work with the A drive?
I have an application that runs both on a network and several stand alone facilities. When updates are required doing them on the Network is a breeze. BUT!! I must drive 386 miles to hit all the stand alone facilities. This takes 11 hours to complete. If I could just mail a disk to the facilities and have autorun do the dirty work that would be great. Currently I have written a .BAT file that the user double clicks and away it goes. The problem is that I have users that find even this task beyond their capabilities.
Well??? Is this convienence just reserved for CD ROM or can we get the A: Drive to reccognize it. My first attempt has met with NULL success.
KniteMare

I don't think this is possible as the Floppy
doesn't automatically run when a disk is inserted unless you have it inserted @ startup and your computer does a POST that
reads from A drive 1st.

I think your best option is a CD Writer.

Upvote 0
Agreed, And I was leaning in this direction. I think I may mess around with the Disk Inserted switch in C language but I also figure the routine is going to be lenghthy so as to allow for the machine to run all of its other tasks in the mean time.
Part of the problem is that some of these stand-alone machines do not have CD ROM Drives. This will be a great oportunity to get the various administrators to upgrade though.
Anyway Ivan thanks for the reply and thank you for supplying this forum. It has been an excelent source of reference for my projects and a great learning arena as well.
KniteMare

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-12 05:21, KniteMare wrote:
Agreed, And I was leaning in this direction. I think I may mess around with the Disk Inserted switch in C language but I also figure the routine is going to be lenghthy so as to allow for the machine to run all of its other tasks in the mean time.
Part of the problem is that some of these stand-alone machines do not have CD ROM Drives. This will be a great oportunity to get the various administrators to upgrade though.
Anyway Ivan thanks for the reply and thank you for supplying this forum. It has been an excelent source of reference for my projects and a great learning arena as well.
KniteMare

Your most welcome KniteMare, good luck on getting the CD's for these machines, may be
an oportunity to upgrade them as well :)
See how much you can get from the Admin.

Upvote 0
Hi
Outside chance, perhaps, in your case, but floppy drives can be used with autorun. In fact any removable storage device can use autorun as long as these two conditions are met.

1. The device drivers for the device in question support autorun by calling WM_DEVICECHANGE

2. The autorun.inf file is in the root directory

Might be worth checking out if drivers are currently installed or can be obtained for your A drives...

Tom

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-12 05:35, TsTom wrote:
Hi
Outside chance, perhaps, in your case, but floppy drives can be used with autorun. In fact any removable storage device can use autorun as long as these two conditions are met.

1. The device drivers for the device in question support autorun by calling WM_DEVICECHANGE

2. The autorun.inf file is in the root directory

Might be worth checking out if drivers are currently installed or can be obtained for your A drives...

Tom

Hi Tom
Which API function do you use to call this
const which I believe is &H0219

Thanks for the info....if I can get the API
then this should work.

Upvote 0
Hi Ivan
I should have been clearer on the qualifications for floppy autorun.

The floppy controller itself must be capable of notifying windows via WM_DEVICECHANGE.

Hardware limitation seems to be the problem.
No soft workaround that I know of???

Tom

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-13 12:40, TsTom wrote:
Hi Ivan
I should have been clearer on the qualifications for floppy autorun.

The floppy controller itself must be capable of notifying windows via WM_DEVICECHANGE.

Hardware limitation seems to be the problem.
No soft workaround that I know of???

Tom

Thanks Tom, thats what I thought after I had
a think about it...if it was a programing
work around it would still have to be initiated..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back