Hyperlinks in spreadsheet

MrsMoe

My company has a networked spreadsheet that contains hyperlinks to other networked documents (word files).

I have created another such spreadsheet for operators on the production floor so they can print all their process docs from one location - problem is - the spreadsheet CLOSES itself once a hyperlink is selected! They do get to see the linked document, but then they have to reopen the spreadsheet all over again to click the next hyperlink. Not exactly the time saving method I had planned.

The first file mentioned above does not do this - WHY, WHY, WHY?! (I have driven myself crazy). I have checked and verified all the obvious - file type, sharing, read-only, yadda, yadda, yadda. I even tried saving the GOOD file AS my new file and it still auto-closes after selecting a hyperlink. Anybody out there have any experience on this?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
check to make sure there is no Auto close macro tied to the sheet or workbook that is triggered by a user clicking a hyperlink. When you open the sheet does it ask wether you want to enable macro's?

Upvote 0
Yup, it's a pain. It will appear to 'close' if the file is 'clean' ie hasn't been changed since the last save. There are a couple of ways round it-

1. Include a volatile formula in the spreadsheet somewhere (eg =Now()), this will 'dirty' the spreadsheet as it's opened and hence the sheet won't appear to close when you select a hyperlink.

2. Hold down Alt and the left cursor arrow to go back to where you came from if the sheet disappears.

Take a look at microsoft support for more info.

Upvote 0
Actually, here's the text from MS, knew I had it somewhere: -

XL97: Document Disappears After Clicking Hyperlink (Q156264)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
When you click a hyperlink in a workbook or a HyperText Markup Language (HTML) document in Microsoft Excel 97, the workbook or HTML document that contains the hyperlink may appear to be closed.

CAUSE
When you click a hyperlink in Microsoft Excel 97, the document that contains the hyperlink is automatically hidden if the document is "clean" (you have not changed the document since it was last saved). If the document is "dirty" (you have changed the document since it was last saved), Microsoft Excel 97 does not hide the document.

Note that this behavior does not apply to situations when you click a hyperlink that jumps to another location within the same Microsoft Excel workbook.

Microsoft Excel hides, not closes, the document. You can unhide hidden documents by clicking Unhide on the Window menu.

NOTE: If you close the workbook or other document that was opened by clicking the hyperlink, the workbook or HTML document that contains the hyperlink may be closed by Microsoft Excel 97.

WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, switch to the document by using one of the following methods.

Method 1
In the Web browser program, click Back to switch to Microsoft Excel and display the document. Microsoft Internet Explorer version 3.0 includes a Back button. Note that other browsers may not include this button.
Method 2
Unhide the document in Microsoft Excel. To do this, use the following steps:
On the taskbar, click Microsoft Excel.

On the Window menu, click Unhide.

Select the document in the list of hidden windows and click Unhide.

REFERENCES
For more information about opening HTML documents, click the Index tab in Microsoft Excel 97 Help, type the following text

opening files, on internet
and then double-click the selected text to go to the "About Microsoft Excel and the Internet" topic.

Upvote 0
We're all gonna love this one. I found out why the first file works. (I had already tried "dirtying the file" with a time stamp in the footer and that didn't work.

Okay, refined a little: the function that works regardless of which sheet in the workbook you put it on is =NOW()

I just added it to the bottom of my file, made the font white and don't need the second sheet.
This message was edited by MrsMoe on 2002-04-12 07:49

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back