Can someone finish this formula for me........

KnAsTa

Board Regular
Hi, i posted this earlier on, but my problem didnt really get clarified awefully well. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to show me the right code for this formula. Its not working completely write. Its not syntactically wrong, no errors are occuring, except within the cells. Here is the code:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$A$10,0)), IF(VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0),3,0),

--OK, the first part works( i am getting values from an external spreadsheet), it returns the correct numbers (either 3 or 0)

IF(VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0),3,0))

--HOWEVER, this part does not work, it returns #N/A, and i really do not know why. I have spent the last hour trying to work it out. Can somebody please help! The formula is now a mess in my head

Thanks a lot

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
On 2002-04-12 07:35, KnAsTa wrote:
Hi, i posted this earlier on, but my problem didnt really get clarified awefully well. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to show me the right code for this formula. Its not working completely write. Its not syntactically wrong, no errors are occuring, except within the cells. Here is the code:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$A$10,0)), IF(VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0),3,0),

--OK, the first part works( i am getting values from an external spreadsheet), it returns the correct numbers (either 3 or 0)

IF(VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0),3,0))

--HOWEVER, this part does not work, it returns #N/A, and i really do not know why. I have spent the last hour trying to work it out. Can somebody please help! The formula is now a mess in my head

Thanks a lot

you really do seem in quite a pickle.

lets break it down a bit.

Your first IF() statement
ISNUMBER(MATCH(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$A$10,0))

Presumbly, if the value that is in A6 is in the range $A$1:$A$10 on sheet week1.xls! you then want it to test whether:

VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0) is TRUE or FALSE

NOTE: I've highlighted above (in your quote) what I assume you believe is the same as VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0). These 2 are different as the first 1 test whether column 3 is greater than column 4 (in terms of the lookup values). in the second it's the other way round.

OK,

so far with:

you've checked whether the number exists in the first column of the lookup table and if it's true then you've checked to see if the value in col 3 is greater than 4. if it is put 3 if it isn't put 0.

What happens if the number ISN'T there in the first place? i.e. the ISNUMBER(MATCH(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$A$10,0)) is FALSE, you don't have an argument for this.

Try using this:

=IF(NOT(ISNA(LOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$A$10,0))),IF(VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,3,0)>VLOOKUP(A6,week1.xls!$A$1:$D$10,4,0),3,0),"NOT THERE")

and replace the "not there" with what you need.
I could expand on this if you need it BUT I've ben typing for yonks!!

does this put you some way towards your goal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back