Need Help...Linking Columns

ubiqman

Need some help trying to link columns together... Ex. If I put a certain number or word in column A, how can I make column B spit out something linke to it. Say if chicken=duck. How I can i type chicken in one column and make duck spit out in another... I have no idea how to do this... Any help is appreciated...

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
On 2002-04-12 08:11, ubiqman wrote:
Need some help trying to link columns together... Ex. If I put a certain number or word in column A, how can I make column B spit out something linke to it. Say if chicken=duck. How I can i type chicken in one column and make duck spit out in another... I have no idea how to do this... Any help is appreciated...

Hi,

Specific response:
A1: "Chicken"
B1: =IF(A1="Chicken","Duck","")

How many test conditions are there? A forumla that references a lookup table would probably be your best bet in this case.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
Thanks!!!

How could i make a formula for a table???
And can I make the formula appear in any cell...Say if i was randomly inputting chicken in one cell could the adjacent cell = duck... or do i have to specify cell columns in my formula...?

Upvote 0
Maybe I can clarify better, If I have ten items that correspond to ten different items, how can I type one in any column and get the correspoding output.

Ex...
I have five items...
tree = green
car = blue
house = red
dog = black
fish = orange

How can I make it so when I type any of the five inputs in any column, I get the corresponding answer.. Can I do that...? SOrry if this sounds confusing.. I am new to the formulas... Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-12 08:40, ubiqman wrote:
Maybe I can clarify better, If I have ten items that correspond to ten different items, how can I type one in any column and get the correspoding output.

Ex...
I have five items...
tree = green
car = blue
house = red
dog = black
fish = orange

How can I make it so when I type any of the five inputs in any column, I get the corresponding answer.. Can I do that...? SOrry if this sounds confusing.. I am new to the formulas... Thanks!!!
Try VLOOKUP

Column A
tree
car
house
dog
fish

Column B
green
blue
red
black
orange

In any cell other than A1:B5
try
=vlookup(c1,A1:b5,2)

Where C1 is the cell you type in dog etc.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-12 08:52, Brian from Maui wrote:
On 2002-04-12 08:40, ubiqman wrote:

Ex...
I have five items...
tree = green
car = blue
house = red
dog = black
fish = orange

Try VLOOKUP

Column A
tree
car
house
dog
fish

Column B
green
blue
red
black
orange

In any cell other than A1:B5
try
=vlookup(c1,A1:b5,2)

Where C1 is the cell you type in dog etc.

Also, try a named formula :

Try this : it needs setting up just the once :

select cell B1
insert (from the toolbar)
names
define
where it's blinking, name it something short and appropriate, like UBQ1 or something
in "refers to" type the following :

=VLOOKUP(!A1,{"chicken","duck";"tree","green";"car","blue";"house","red";"dog","black";"fish","orange"},2,0)

click on "add"
click on "ok" to exit

now, in any cell on any sheet, enter =UBQ1 next to your chicken/tree/car/house/dog entry
and you'll get duck/green/blue/red/black returned

Hopefully, also, some VBA expert will spot this post and offer an even easier way, without the need to double-enter...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back