Format cells

Agga

Hi everybody!
When I have a number in a cell (like 1200000)and want to format it to look like 1.200.000. I go to format - number and click on the thousand seperator. What happens is that the number looks like 1200000.0.00 and the negative numbers look like -1.10/.10
Does anyone know how to change the number format so it looks normal? I've looke in the control panel- regional settings and the settings are all right there but still the numbers in excel look all wrong when I use the thousands separator.
Can anyone help.... I've been trying to fix this for days....with out luck.
Thanks a buch.... :wink:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi,
go to format - number and decrease "Decimal places" to zero.
now: 1200000====> 1,200,000

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks Aryan_hr..... but that's not the solution. It doesn't matter if I change the decimal settings. The number then goes from being 100000.0.00 to 100000.
So it doesn't seperate by thousands at all the decimal just goes to the back.
Sigh..... seems like this is unsolvable.
I've also tried to throw excel out and set it up again.... but it does not change back.
Anybody???????

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-24 07:18, Agga wrote:
Thanks Aryan_hr..... but that's not the solution. It doesn't matter if I change the decimal settings. The number then goes from being 100000.0.00 to 100000.
So it doesn't seperate by thousands at all the decimal just goes to the back.
Sigh..... seems like this is unsolvable.
I've also tried to throw excel out and set it up again.... but it does not change back.
Anybody???????

Did you ever open that workbook on a different machine with an Excel copy of its own in order to see how the formatting then looks like?

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin for your answer...
I have not tried to open it on my computer at work. I'm afraid that the settings in my homecomputer might scramble the settings in my excel at work. I think that an excel-document from another computer, sent to me via e-mail, scrambled the thousand seperator settings at some point. But I haven't found a way to restore it to the original setting. Do you know of a way?
:)

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for all your help Aladin.

I'm sure that these add-ins will come in extremely handy. So if I can't repair the thousand separator.... who cares :wink:
I've got loads of new tools.

Thanks again for your help... much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back